{26} Pretend

Qibli

"Do you love me?" He asked her, smiling.

"Yes, sure." She pushed her hair back and patted his hair, staring at something far away. "What do you need? I need to go in a meeting in a few minutes. Please make this quick, I don't have time." She quickly picked up her clipboard and started to write stuff on it.

"Where's Dad?"

BANG.

She had dropped the clipboard and had slapped him. His cheek stung, and tears welled up in his eyes even though he was used to it.

It was the same question every morning, same hope that she would answer, and the said disappointment and he got slapped.

People didn't bother to stare, it happened too frequently.

"Don't you dare to ask me that stupid question again," Cobra hissed, just like she did yesterday and the day before. "I'm going to the meeting and you're going to sit still here. You will not bother anybody and you will not ask questions."

He stared into her merciless eyes. "Do you really love me?"

Why won't you tell me?

Cobra seemed irritated and pushed him roughtly on the chair. "Yes, dear."

He stared as she walked away, smiling and talking to the nearest person like nothing had happened.

Do you really love me?

Yes, dear.

He got used to it eventually. And he sort of believed those lies.

Maybe if you kept saying them, they became the truth.

A few years later, a girl came along. She looked sort of like her— the posture, the just-out-of-reach style, the god complex. Everything else was different, but whenever he looked at her, he thought of Cobra. He couldn't help it. The one person he couldn't win over.

He immediately fell in love with her.

He could tell she fell in love, too. Just not with him.

He kept trying, though. That was his bad habit. He should have left her alone. But a voice in his head kept pushing him on.

He loved her so hard...how could she not love him back?

It was just like the case with Cobra. Their relationship was built on lies. Except that the girl wasn't trying to hurt him. She was genuinely good, genuinely friendly. And that was what made her so hard to let go.

And then seeing her in pain just like Cobra— he wanted to do anything, do everything.

She didn't want him, though.

"Moon...I love you."

The same look of surprise, the hidden irritation, the same pity. But she was thinking about him, how the rejection would affect him. Not herself.