{2} How It Started

"Welcome to your tape, Icicle Absher"

You were, of course, the best child. The strongest. The one with most talent.

The meanest. The most bloodthirsty person in the world.

You didn't used to be like that. You used to be the protective big sister, with the sparkling blue eyes and beautiful smirk. Boys used to chant every morning for your number. Remember, dear Icicle? How you have me the eye roll over the windows, but there was a pleased smile plastered on your face?

We used to be good siblings. You protected me, and I amused you. We helped each other through hard times. You weren't so bad.

Then, something happened.

~

"Hey, Kink," Moon said, walking with her eyes firmly on the ground. "How are you?"

Kinkajou skipped on the ground, giving Moon a huge grin. "I'm excited for the field trip."

"Huh? Oh, yeah, the museum." Moon blinked her eyes. "I thought it was next week?"

"No, silly. It's-"

Then Moon bursted out crying, uncontrollable sobs escaping her mouth, her safe shell finally cracking. "K-Kinkajou, I got something yesterday... "

Kinkajou's eyes widened. "In a box...?"

Moon covered her face with her hands. All she could do is nod, and her lips did the rest. "A set of tapes... "

"Thirteen reasons..."

"...why he committed suicide.."

"...And you're one of them," Kinkajou finished. "Oh, Moon."

"Wait?" Moon said, slowly turning her head to face the small, happy girl with pink highlights and a lollipop in her mouth. "How do you know this, Kinkajou Stevens?"

Kinkajou gulped, pressing her lips together tightly. She took the lollipop out of her mouth, her cheeks flushed. She looked neverous, which made Moon nervous.

"I have to tell you something, Moon. Something extremely important."

~

It was during summer break. Hailstorm and I were at a barn, trying to strike a deal with a farmer. I badly wanted a horse, and I had my eyes on a sleek brown pony. It wasn't a special breed but it seemed to attract me somehow. I've always wanted horses.

The small pony lashed impatiently, its black mane rippling in the wind as it shook its great head. "I want that one." I said like a little boy. I was so excited.

Hailstorm was making fun of me- "You could have gotten any kind of horses from all around the world, and you choose this mutt?" He teased. I shrugged it off. I didn't care.

We bought it. I named it Bandit, and, although it acted like a jerk when we brought him home, we grew on each other.

Then, it happened.

We were trying to look for a good barn to put Bandit in when a redhead appeared out of nowhere. I thought she worked there, so I approached her. "Hello?" I said, struggling to not step on anything disgusting. "How much does this barn cost?"

I guess I never expected a complete stranger being out a gun and aim it at me.

"Winter?" Hailstorm walked up to me, and grinned at her. "Hey, beautiful."

Then he saw the gun, and his grin disappeared. "What are you doing?" He snarled. He raised a perfect eyebrow at her, his shoulders raising. His blue eyes showed alarm, and his legs were slightly bent, like he would run at any moment.