Chapter 44: Deeper Scars

Kongpob POV 

P'Third and I led the way into the cave. The tunnel was narrow at first, the ground stumbled with uneven paths. Even in the dark, P'Bright didn't dare to illuminate his light magic, I can see the poison mushrooms growing along the path.

We came out into the high-ceiling room. I stopped dead and the others cowered around me.  

The room was not as I remember it. It was dim, giving the impression of a huge space spreading away into the dark.  There were glinting rubies as well stuck on the walls. 

P'Bright's light flared up in his hand, illuminating the room and I let out a shaky breath.

In front of us was a stone table, the surface was smooth. On it lays P'Arthit, unconscious.

It seems he was only sleeping, his cute face soft, his eyes closed. He was still wearing the suit from the ball and his ankles were locked into chains. There was a white chalk, a protection spell around the table. 

"Kong, this is the room where we found that it has a secret passage, where it leads the key to the Skull's chest." P'Bright reminded me.

"Secret passage?" I frowned 

"Be quiet." P'Tum stiffened. "Someone's coming."

My heart began to pound. 

Just hang in there, P'Arthit. I said to him in mind. I'm coming to save you.

A figure approached the table, and the protection circle opened like a lock, he is wearing a black cape, hooding his face.  I can't contain my feelings anymore. As reckless as I am, I broke free from my friends and ran. "Step away from P'Arthit, or I'll burn you!" I shouted.

The figure froze. Slowly, he turned his head. Its hood fell back, and a short dark brown hair spilled. "Kong?"

"P'Tod!" P'Bright spoke. 

P'Tod looked around me when the others came out. "By the heavens, how many of you are here?"

"I'm also here." P'Tum said.

"Even you, master? No, you don't understand how deadly this is." said P'Tod. "You have to leave. Get everyone out of here. I didn't attend the ball for this night."

"If you aren't in the ball." said P'Third. "You are here. Then—"

"Maybe you're also Kobra's accomplice" M said.

"What? It's not like that! I came here to inspect, I've been suspicious about John's actions lately, so I followed him here." P'Tod recoiled.

"Then what is it like?" I growled. "Because I can't imagine what reasons you have being here."

"What John said to you was true." He jerked his gaze from bursting out. "But I'm not like my parents!"

Noise filled the room. Approaching footsteps from the shadows. 

P'John. 

He was now wearing a neatly ironed black pants and a black polo shirt. In his hand, he carried a large box and there was a lock. 

"God, too many dramas going on." P'John put a hand on his forehead, playing pretend.

"You." P'Tod accused. "You've been using dark magic ever since Trae was alive, you've been alongside with a demon. I've been following your trails for months, I just waited the right moment, and this is it."

He seemed to study how close P'Tod is to P'Arthit. "Step away from the half-blood."

P'Tod didn't budge.