Chap. 34: It's What's Best

The billionaire sits at his desk in his home office, his hands shaking with anger. Emily sits on his couch in tears. Someone had managed to get past the bodyguards into Taylor Manor without being detected. The thought of someone being present in the house while they had slept sends chills down Emily's back.

       Happy appears into the office with the other bodyguards, his face sullen. "The cameras have no footage of anyone being in the house whatsoever..."

         Christian's brow arches. "But?"

          Happy slowly nods, "...but the cameras have been tampered with."

          The billionaire shakes his head at the men. "You all were on duty! How in the hell did you manage to let someone past you? Huh? I'm paying you to protect us and lately, it seems that you can't even do your fricking job!"

        Emily jumps at his sharp words. Christian sits back angrily, glaring at the men. He lightly sways in his chair in thought.

        "I want whoever is doing this to be caught and brought to me." Christian nods to the men, "Hush-hush."

          Emily gives Christian a look of terror but doesn't speak. The thought of Christian having anyone killed horrifies the brunette, but since her life is on the line, she tries to swallow the thought. Christian dismisses his bodyguards. Once the office doors are shut, Christian turns to Emily.

         "You can't say here." Christian says in a soft voice, "It's clear now that it's too risky."

         "No!" Emily shouts, not meaning to. "Don't send me away from you again. Please! Don't you love me?"

           "If my love could save you, I'd have this jackasses head on my office mantle." Christian says heatedly, "But my love can't. So I have to do the second best thing...and that's send you away for protection."

       "Christian!" Emily cries.

        "Emily, this is life or death!" Christian sharply says to her, "I'm not willing to lose you at any cost!"

         "Please tell me you're going with me." Emily begs, "I can't lose you either."

         Christian sighs heavily. "Whoever is behind this knows that you mean a great deal to me...and the message was for me, not you."

        Emily shakes her head. "How do you know?"

         "Emily, Baby, you haven't don't anything wrong." Christian shakes his head at her, "There's no reason for anyone to come after you."

         I lied about Mr. Hardon sexually assaulting me and now he's dead. Emily thinks, hot tears rolling down her cheeks.

       "Em," Emily looks up at her boyfriend, "I have to protect you...even if I have to send you away."

        Emily shakes her head, irritated. "Where would you send me? The same shithole you left me in last time?"

       Christian smirks, sadness on his face. "An island my grandfather left me."

         Emily's eyes open wide. "A private island?! How much did you keep from me when we first dated—No! How much are you keeping from me now?"

        Christian smirks wider. "When you sign our contract and this mess is resolved, I'll tell you anything you want to know."

        "Give me the document to keep safe while you handle things here." Emily crosses her arms, "Besides, I can look at each rule and come up with ideas for punishments."

         Christian stares at her with a wicked smile, finding amusement in her bold request. "Do I get to have a say in any of our punishments?"

         Emily gives him a sly smirk. "You'd just put down an ass smacking."

            The billionaire chuckles, straightening the objects on his desk. "It'd be more than an ass smacking, Miss East."

       "I don't expect any less." Emily smiles at him softly, "Will you at least take me there yourself and stay with me the first few days? Just to make sure I get settled in safely."

          Christian shakes his head. "I will after a few weeks—"

         "A few weeks?" Emily exclaims, "I have to be away from you for two while weeks?"

         Christian slowly nods his head, not looking at her. "I'm sorry, Baby, but this is for your protection."

       Emily begins to tear up again, shaking her head at him. She turns and begins to run out but freezes. Christian watches her with furrowed brows, his eyes soft.

       "It feels like you want me to go." Emily tries to keep her voice even,  "Like you can't wait to get rid of me now that you have me."

        Christian quickly rises from his office chair, taking no time to get to Emily. But the brunette runs out of his home office and up the stairwell.

        "You'll be on the plane tonight." Christian watches her as she runs up the stairwell in tears. "It's what's best."

     To Christian, it sounds as if he's trying to make himself believe his own words. And he is.