Chapter Six: Fine Company and Intolerant Questions

A/N: I know it's been months since I've updated this....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silence can sometimes be a relaxing thing but at times it can cut sharper than a knife, intensified by a wall crushing awkwardness. I am experiencing a perplexing mixture of both as I sit directly across from Adrian Belle. His presence is an odd combination. He felt like a rising winter sun, touching the frost covered world, awakening it from its stiff slumber. There was a gentleness to him but under it, that warm soft smile hid the intense fire that would burn with a razor point, searing even a tundra’s darkest ice.

I was weary and he knew it.

“Are you feeling better, my Lord?” his question was light as his hand raised a tea cup to his lips. “You had certainly startled many of us.” But it was his eyes that gave him away. Those teal fire eyes watching my every action, every sound, trying to gauge everything I say, I felt like the rabbit before the snake this time.

“I…have to apologise about that night.” Severely apologise.

“Apologise?” his brow furrowed as if he were confused by my statement.

“I…not only was my behaviour appalling, I also dirtied your dress coat.”

“Oh. That. There was never a need to apologise. Not unless you purposely aimed at my coat.”

My back straightened, I could feel a blush skimming my cheeks, “Never!”

A low rumble came from his chest, his chuckle was almost predatory and playful, “Then your apology is surely misguided.”

The silence came again as he took a sip from his tea. My eyes drifted quickly to out the window of the same reception room that had Mrs Thompson in not a few days ago. I had to distract myself otherwise I would catch myself staring up at Mr Belle and I’m quite sure he did not want any of that. A pubescent boy staring at a man like a star-struck kitten at a tiger. I held in a sigh, no wonder there were unquiet rumours about. But I still hold onto the firm belief that it was pure admiration.

Hearing the soft tink of china being placed back onto the table made me look back at Mr Belle as he said, “You seem uncomfortable, my Lord.”

“Charlie. Mr Belle,” I try my best to smile.

“Excuse me?”

“‘Lord’ is an empty title I’m afraid and it rings rather hollow. I prefer being called Charlie by those I consider my friends.”

His smile was far more genuine, “As you wish, Charlie. I am rather honoured that you consider me a friend.” His eyes flashed up into mine, transfixing me. “I am sincerely relieved that you are doing better.”

“Ah…” I lose the will to look into his eyes, instead they wondered down to my hands, “I am used to it.”

“I find it rather sad that one such as yourself finds it a norm.”

“Such as myself?”

“Young. Bright. Your mind is far beyond your age I will admit but your experiences are lacking and no amount of knowledge can truly reimburse what is witnessed and felt by oneself. You have seen so little of the world.”

A sad smile touched my lips, “I’m afraid the last time I attempted to catch a glimmer of the world it cost me something dear.”

“Ah. I am sorry for your loss and I know the feeling.”

That caught me by surprise, “You have lost someone?”

“Many, I’m afraid.”

“Oh. I’m sorry…do you mind if I ask …?”