Chapter 7 - Crossed Out Eyes

Lance's POV

"What is it, Stephen?" I asked in a blunt voice. Stephen woke me up early in the morning - 3:24 a.m. - and literally pulled the covers off of me. I've been sleeping the whole day yesterday, and waking me up was the last thing I wanted.

"I called you a hundred times already then you haven't answered any of them!" He exclaimed and showed me my phone which had many missed calls.

"Okay, chill, you sound like an overly attached girlfriend-"

"There's no time for jokes you ass! Lyra's missing and the police looked for her everywhere and there's no sign of her!" He cut me off.

"Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I fucking called you a lot of times!" He snapped.

Shit...

* * *

Stephen stayed at my apartment the rest of the night/day until we were called by Nevaeh. She said to go to Lyra's house to show us something.

We were now in my car, speeding up to her house.

"Lance! This ain't fucking Need For Speed! Slow down!"

"A while ago you were being serious about her being missing. Now I'm serious because the girl we grew up with and treated like a little sister is lost!" That made him shut up.

Little sister... God, she reminded me of her so much.

I parked my car in her driveway and looked out. I then took out the keys from the ignition then opened the door. It was very quiet in this neighborhood, all that I can hear is my footsteps.

We went up to her room, only to see Victoria and Nevaeh looking at the walls. The walls catched my attention, blood...

Stephen gagged and ran out of the room, I gagged also but stayed.

"What... what the hell... what?"

Victoria looked over to me and handed me a photo. "I remembered the time when you pranked me, so I needed to get back at you. In this case, it isn't a prank, but..." She trailed off.

I looked down at the photo, a group photo of all five of us in a carnival. Only, our eyes were crossed out, so is Lyra's. It creeped me out even more when I realized the sticky part of the photo I was holding was blood.

Pieces of paper were piled on her bed, the last time I've been here, I saw her putting them up. She was muttering incoherent words, and was also talking in a different language sometimes in that day.

I shuffled over to the bed and picked one note up, good thing it was written in English.

The eyes are the windows to the soul.

It somehow scared me, so I put it down. One catched me eye.

She died in a car crash. I tried saving her. But I replaced her. Lance

It ends there, the rest of the note was covered in blood. I picked it up, despite the sticky blood on it, I clutched it tightly and put it in my pocket.

She died in a car crash.

My sister died in a car crash.

I tried saving her.

Lyra was trying.

But I replaced her.

I always thought of Lyra as a sister.

Lance

My name was the only evidence that proved that the note was about my sister. But, the note might have said more. This must be her private thoughts, which is not private anymore.

I still had the photo in my other hand, but I never noticed the girl behind us. Curly locks of brown hair, brown eyes, gray skin and shards of glass stuck out of her skin, blood trickled down her forehead and the scars caused by the glass. She held a doll that looked raggy.

That was my sister, only, she was already dead when we took the photo.

My lips quivered and I threw the photo away from me. Victoria sees this and gave me a concerned look because of my face filled of horror.

You're just imagining it all.

I shook my head at her and walked out the house, only to sit on the curb and stare at nothing.

How could that even happen? She was already dead by then. She even looked the same in the car accident except for the gray skin. Which means I'm just being haunted.

I still can't get over at the sight of her looking directly at the camera, a blank stare clear on her face.

The eyes are the windows to the soul.

"They aren't windows anymore, they are now just sockets. Which means, you and their souls flew out."