Chapter 17 - Heaven's mother is a liar

My fingers tapped on my desk. The teacher was discussing how we will be doing our project, thus giving us partners. Good thing I had Stephen as my partner. But it definitely caused a riot. Everyone wants to be partners with me because they thought that it's okay to leave all of the doing things to me.

But mostly, they just want to get in with me. Boys are trying to flirt with me but they get turned down by me.

"So, how are we gonna do this?" Stephen eyed the to do list on his desk.

I sighed and took a look at the list. He is right, how are we gonna do this? "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? You're the smart one, Goddammit!"

"Hey, I'm just smart, I'm not a genius." I rolled my eyes.

He rolled his eyes also. "Fine."

The bell rang and everyone started packing their things and going out. Stephen volunteered on keeping the list so he tucked it in a book where it could be safe. And we walked out.

As I walk to my next class, I remembered what Lana said. The first electrocution is just to determine what is the person that is holding the book. I've held it thrice, I've only been shocked once. But that couldn't be, right? Maybe the reason why it did that to me because of the friction it made with other things in my bag, or getting rubbed against my bedsheet.

It's just unacceptable, unbelievable, and it could be the issue that would cause me unsatisfactory.

I tried to forget it but I was still in my mind.

I started walking to my next class, of course, stopping at my locker to get my homework and a few text books. When I turned away from my locker, I was facing Lana's back. She was talking to someone on the phone.

"Sure, what time will you be at home?" Her voice somehow sounded flirty. "What? That late? Why won't you just come home early?" She asked desperately.

By then I walked away from her and entered my class.

* * *

As I entered my car, I saw an expensive black car at the very end of the parking. Lana walked towards it, a big smile on her face as she opened the door to the passenger seat. Through the dark window, I could make out a man with white hair and silver eyes, wearing a suit. I saw Lana kiss his cheek and soon they sped out of their parking slot and out if the school premises.

And then, Victoria opened the door of the passenger seat. She threw her bag in and slumped down on her seat.

"Bad day?" I askes as I started the engine.

She nodded.

I sigh and listened to the car purr to life. Soon, we were out of school and driving to her house.

"You know that my dad is chief investigator, right?"

I looked at Victoria and back at the road. "Yeah, why?"

"Well, in the last murder he saw a note left behind." My eyes narrowed at the road ahead. "And it was signed by Lyra."

My grip on the steering wheel tightened. "W-What did it say?" I asked.

She stayed silent for a moment. "What if you check for yourself, my dad's having a day off today and he probably has the note with him." She told me.

I could feel the suspense kicking in, I tried stopping the foot that was on the gear to stop bouncing for anticipation and nervousness. And then I just kept on driving, seeing the cars ahead of us move and whizz away. Then I saw that black Ferrari, the one Lana was in, turn to a different that lead to the part of the town where the rich live.

I got intrigued, but just ignored it right after.

I kept glancing at the rareview mirror, for some reason, I thought that Lyra was in the back. It was always like that, I look at Lyra through the mirror. I was waiting for her to speak about something interesting like she always did back then. When she used to go to me and just say something that made me very happy.

I sighed and kept on driving.

We finally arrived at her house. We both stepped out and went inside for some heat. Victoria went to her dad's office, probably to talk to her dad. But when she came back, she didn't have the note with her.

"Where's the note?"

She showed me her phone. "He said that I should just take a picture of it. He needs to do a few things with it."

I took her phone in my hands, reading the note in the picture.

Your mother is a liar, Heaven.

-Lyra

I stared longer at the picture, trying to find out what it meant. A few minutes later, I gave Victoria her phone back and told her to send the picture to me. And as I walk to my car, I felt odd.

I shivered and went inside my car, after starting the engine, I drove to my house.

Isn't Heaven a place that many people believe in? Lyra used it as if addressing a person. Who could this person be?

"Why is your name Heaven?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your name is Heaven spelled backwards, Nevaeh."

Everyone always wondered why my name was spelled like that, and it didn't go by how people would pronounce it. A few say 'nuh-vay' rather than it's original pronunciation; neh-vay-yuh.

Okay, enough with my name.

So, the letter was directed to me. What could it mean? She knew that my mother lied, but about what? How did she even know? I don't even know, that's for sure.

My phone buzzed and I knew that it was the photo. By the time I parked in front of our closed garage, my mom walked out of the house. Although it was cold and snow lay everywhere, she only had a shirt and trousers on. And the slightest hint that she was cold was that she was pale.

I walked up to her and hugged her.

"Where were you?" She asked.

"At Victoria's." I told her as we went inside. The heat of the house wrapped around as soon as I took off my snow clothes.

"Okay then..." She walked up the stairs and I heard the door opening and closing.

I slumped down on the couch, sighing. My gaze landed on the pictures on the TV's stand. I stared at this one picture of all three of us -three because I've never met my father, and admired my moms' s and brother's green eyes. I was told that my dad had blue eyes.

And I remembered a question I asked my mom years ago which she answered.

Why am I the only one with brown eyes?