2. Not What It Seems

Chat Noir stirred awake, vaguely aware of something tickling his neck

Chat Noir stirred awake, vaguely aware of something tickling his neck. He turned his head to the side and found Marinette asleep on his shoulder. She looked so peaceful compared to before, her breathing steady and her eyes shut.

When he'd gone to school yesterday, the last thing he'd expected was for Marinette to be kicked out. She was a sweet girl and everyone had known something was wrong when Miss Bustier had pulled the test answers from her bag.

But things had only escalated from there. Her parents had been called in and when Adrien had seen them heading to the principal's office he'd felt nothing but dread for her. He'd tried to probe Nino and Alya for information, but they were just as clueless as him.

Then the necklace had fallen from Marinette's locker.

He'd doubted her. The evidence was undeniable and, like everyone else, he found himself wondering if he'd really known her at all. But when he'd looked into her misty, bluebell eyes and caught the betrayal shimmering inside them, he knew he'd made a mistake.

You know Lila's lying, don't you, Adrien?

He should've done something sooner, taken her side before things had gone so far. Both girls had been at each other's throats since Lila first arrived in Paris. For what, he wasn't quite sure, but he should've known better than to doubt Marinette.

I should've been there for her.

Chat Noir untangled himself from the bed-sheet draped around them, moving slowly so he didn't disturb her. He stood up before the railing and pulled his baton from his back.

Now would be the perfect time to leave. Barely anyone was out on the streets so he could head back home unnoticed.

But even though it was easier, Chat Noir couldn't help back look back at her sleeping figure. She looked so tired, so vulnerable out in the cold that he just didn't have the heart to leave her. Her trapdoor was still open and while he didn't like the idea of going into her room without permission, it wouldn't take long to drop her off inside where she would feel warm and safe.

Besides, what kind of friend would he be if he left her out in the cold like this?

With his mind made up, Chat Noir knelt down beside Marinette and scooped her into his arms. He drew her closer to him, until her head was resting against his chest. He forgot how light the suit made things feel sometimes. She was practically weightless in his arms.

Chat leapt down from the balcony onto her bed, holding Marinette in his arms like she were made of glass. He set her down gently and draped the covers over her.

She murmured something in her sleep and Chat Noir reached out to brush her fringe from her face. He could still make out the tear stains on her cheeks and lightly traced them with his fingers, wishing he'd arrived earlier to wipe them away too.