Chapter 22: Enclosed Crystal Cavern

Author's Note: Today's artwork of our noble knight Leo is brought to you by Lucid_fantasies_, or @lucid_fantasies_ on Instagram!

I just love how regal Leo looks in her art and and I just love the pose!! (And the sparkles!! I love him!!) I just love how he looks in her art style hhh and I really love the calligraphy she did as well! Please check out her amazing art on her In...

I just love how regal Leo looks in her art and and I just love the pose!! (And the sparkles!! I love him!!) I just love how he looks in her art style hhh and I really love the calligraphy she did as well! Please check out her amazing art on her Instagram, or check out her Zodiac High series or her 'Chess' series (consisting of the prequel An Assassin's Faith and the story Valerie's Interest) on Wattpad!! I've been following along her series for a while and you guys should check it out if you're interested :D

On that note, thank you for the reads, votes and comments! I appreciate you guys taking time out of your day to read Daybreak's Crest; you all really motivate me to continue writing. I hope you enjoy the story!

-x-x-x-

"This is boring," Gemini complained quietly to Aquarius, "How long have we been walking already? I miss the sun."

"Be quiet, Gemini," Aquarius murmured back, "It shouldn't be long now."

"Can't we just ask –"

"No, Gemini. This isn't a good time."

Gemini's chance at 'relieving her boredom' came very quickly in the sound of a horribly familiar roar that shook the entire cave itself, making the river slosh over even more and splash over their shoes. The cave floor trembled again with echoing shriek, and there was a heavy thud and growl.

"We've been followed?!" Capricorn spun around, the light from the torch held by Pisces just barely casting his features in light as he unsheathed his lance. "Those – it must be one of those–!"

"Those beasts." Aquarius finished off, drawing her weapon as well. "I'd recognise those roars anywhere."

"The Eirean Church must've followed us down here." Taurus growled, turning around as well. "They want to get rid of us here and now? They'll have to get through me first."

"Aries? Aries!" Scorpio shouted, his voice ricocheting off the walls. Even in the dim light of the single torch carried by Pisces, his anger was clear to see. "Stop running off yourself! It's unsafe – dammit!" Scorpio swore sharply as he squinted out into the darkness. "Where is he?!"

Pisces held up the torch behind her into the darkness beyond. The growling, huffing noises from the beast was getting louder, but the echoes of its snarling were drowning out any other signal of its presence. She swung the torch around. "Where is it?!"

"W-wait – everyone, I'll try –" Virgo's voice echoed out from the darkness. "Phos!"

The blast of light lit the entire cavern for a split second, imprinting everyone's eyelids white. However, what was much worse was the split second of vision they had acquired – and the split second of gnashing teeth that were awfully close and beady, dark eyes squinted against the light. The cave fell into darkness again.