'A promise... Once we make one, there is no going back on it.' The voice reminded me as I nodded. Leaning down, I placed a kiss on her forehead... I then decided to return to the tree of feelings.

---Dream's Pov---

Once my brother came back to the tree of feelings, I tried to ask him if he was alright... but he never responded to me. He only seemed interested in giving me the cold shoulder while climbing up to his favorite branch. 

I could remember our earlier argument over (Y/n) almost dying and why I didn't heal her when I had the chance... and honestly, the answer was too simple. My magic was extremely drained from fixing the distress of our world.

"I am going to get back to work now, brother..." I tried to say to him while offering a bright smile. No reply came from Nightmare, so I decided to just vanish.

Another reason as to why I left to return to work was to actually check up on that girl... I could sense the fear throughout the hospital that my brother probably caused out of anger.

He was really starting to lose control over himself. I didn't know what to do... Nightmare just seemed to be too far gone.

As I entered the hospital, I started hearing many people talk about how the Guardian of Negativity stormed in and began to throw his magic around. Apparently he was shooting threats and bones towards anyone that stood in his way. Now that surprised me.

My brother wasn't the type to do something, well, anything like that. Usually Nightmare was quiet and just kept to himself... have I been so focused on my duties that I haven't noticed my brother's state of mind? Did I maybe... forget about him?

I suppose that I owed a favor or two to (Y/n) for keeping him grounded while I was gone... although, his jealousy, hate and possessive nature finally took hold of him due to this girl. It wasn't her fault, but it was probably inevitable. 

"Hey Dream!" Turning on my heels, my yellow eyes landed upon a familiar face. It was ink!

"Ink, what are you doing here?!" I couldn't help my bubbling excitement as the artistic skeleton strolled towards me.

"What? As hue know, I can't help but be worried about you." He smirked as the pun left him, causing me to giggle. "I figured that you may be chalk full of problems?"

"Frame on you, Ink. Art puns?" I snickered as he laughed.

"What can I say? You looked like you were etching  for conversation." He shrugged as I let out a laugh, causing all of the staff to stare at me. "Or maybe you're just... worked down to the tone?"

"Okay, enough! haha!" I couldn't stop myself from wheezing from the jokes that he tried to use. They were so awful! Funny, but bad. The last time he used these jokes was when I showed him a golden apple that I brought with me through the aus... It reminded me of home. In the end, I never thought that someone could make that many yellow jokes around an apple.

"Okay, okay. I'll stop." He said before following me down the hall. I led him into the emergency section of the hospital, causing us both to sneak around until finally reaching (Y/n)'s door. Once I opened it, we both entered and were greeted by silence. "Um... So what is going on exactly?"

"Just some brotherly troubles... I am sure that things will be better soon." I said before taking a seat next to her bed with a sigh. At least she didn't seem so... dead. "By the way, is everything okay with Error right now?"

"I'm not sure... I actually haven't run into him for a few days. So I am a little on edge." Yeah that was understandable. Error was always so unpredictable... whatever he was up to, it probably wasn't good. 

---Nightmare's Pov---

Once my brother was gone, I was finally left alone to do my business. Slowly my eyes darted towards his side of the tree, thinking about my next actions. My mind seemed to be extremely scattered as I fell down into insanity... My (Y/n) was hurt by these humans who thought I was evil. They believed that I represented all of the bad in this world. 

I would prove them wrong. I have to prove them wrong.

I clutched my skull in both of my hands while my chilling laughter echoed through the area. I never really noticed the humans that were approaching the tree as I jumped from branch to branch until reaching my brother's side.

With a golden apple in reach, I moved my hand to take the fruit... and once it was plucked and brought to my mouth, its golden color turned black. I stared at the apple in confusion, but as soon as I heard the gasps from a few people behind me... I came to notice that the entire side of fruit that Dream defended was shrouded in the same darkness of my own apples.

This was not what I wanted.

"What did you do?!" The voices from the people started to shout in horror. I quickly became scared of their words as I looked between the apple that I held and the tree... What have I done.

I jumped down from the tree, clutching the black fruit in my hand. "I didn't mean to make this happen!"

They looked at me with hatred as I stared back in pure shock. I didn't think that I could make things any worse than this... So out of desperation, I brought the black apple to my mouth and took a hurried bite of the fruit. I was determined to show them that my apples weren't so bad, that everything would be okay!

"You're just as bad as that damned mute." One of the people said. I wanted to warn them, but no words came out... Instead, my mouth parted so that I could cough up an inky black liquid. The same goop began to leak from my eye sockets as I fell to my knees.

'Finally... Things went according to my plan.' The monstrous voice cackled. I could feel myself drowning in the dark sticky substance, unable to move in the slightest while the nightmarish monster stared at me. This was the first time that I met him in person... and he had a haunting appearance.  'I don't think that I could of lasted much longer. Watching you kiss her... I've waited so long for this.'

I tried to call out for my brother... For (Y/n)...

But nobody came.

"Don't worry, Guardian. I will properly care for my (Y/n)." He said with his own words. I felt my consciousness slipping as a pain moved through my spine. My appearance drastically changed into that of a black inky skeleton with four tentacles sprouting from my back. What did that apple do... 'Please, stop this!'

All I got in response from him was the same chilling words that he had used awhile ago... but this time, they had depth to them. "One day, you will be the one chained to this soul. You will silently watch as I love and protect (Y/n). You will become jealous of my position when I kiss her, or make her mine."

I couldn't reply, I just didn't have the strength... is this what jealousy was meant to lead to?

His neck snapped in a horrific way as he stretched with a satisfied groan. His slimy appendages twitched for a moment, taking in the area while the humans remained still like a deer caught in headlights.

The lack of movement was terrifying, and once one of the humans took a single step back in fear of the unnerving silence... A crunching sound was heard. That same person looked down to see the black tentacle plunged through his rib cage, blood splattered behind him from the impact. "Oh no. I didn't forget about any of you. Isn't it nice to be acknowledged?" 

Sickening cracks sounded through the night, this was followed by the corrupted version's echoing laughter while he repeated the same words over and over again. "I am coming for you, my dearest (Y/n)."