Chapter 24: Being A Traitor Is Hereditary

En başından başla

It does sound insane when you think about it.

"No one believed her of course." Nadia added. "But then a month later, she no longer wants to continue the search for her husband."

It must probably be the same time when my grandfather went back to the present to see my grandmother one last time before he leaves her for Clara.

"I just assumed that the man beside the president just looked similar to your grandfather. So, I ignored the case like everyone else did but then I met you and everything made sense." Nadia said.

"What do you mean by that, Nadia? You've known me before?" I asked. Nadia opened her journal and my name was written on it.

"Your brother and crying mother went into our precinct." Nadia said. "Jay said that you mysteriously disappeared after leaving you at the study room and I wrote it all down on my journal."

I looked at the journal and she wrote that I disappeared for seven days without any hint of abduction or any criminal related situations. I wasn't aware until now that everyone were looking for me while I was stuck in 1898. Nadia asked a lot of people including my friends and acquaintances about my whereabouts but to no avail, I wasn't found.

"I volunteered myself on handling your case because when I found out that you're a Baldivia, I had a gut feeling that your disappearance will make sense to your grandfather's case which it did."

"Would you believe that it's just a coincidence, Nadia?" I asked.

"Of course not..." She snarled. "I really thought I turned insane because after a week of your disappearance, I was at the precinct doing paper works and I had no idea of who you are."

It's probably the same time I arrived back in 2019 which means that my disappearance no longer occurs.

"I looked at the calendar and it's the same date and day again. I was so certain that a week has passed by already but everyone said that I probably overworked myself." Nadia said.

"...but then you had a record of my disappearance on your journal." I added.

"Yeah..." She sighed. "It was then I realized that I'm not insane and that you're up to something."

"So, what's next? You stalked me?" I asked and she didn't respond. Instead, she sheepishly looked at me. "You did stalk me!"

"That's what private investigators do, Lana." She casually said. "So, yes...I stalked you for days and I researched about your family background and your relationships to other people including Joshua Espinoza on whom by the way, has an interesting family tree."

"You figured out that we're related didn't you?"

"It wasn't that hard, Lana." She smirked. "I felt bad that I broke Joshua's heart when I told him about you and his family lineage."

"You're the one who told him...? How could you!" I yelled at her. I was frustrated at Nadia for taking my opportunity to properly explain and apologize to him about the things that I have done. Joshua probably thinks that I used him and played with his feelings.

"I had to tell Joshua because he's my way of distracting you." Nadia said. She intentionally told Joshua about our family so that she can get away with stealing the time machine.

"You're a heartless bitch!" I spat at her. "You did not only mess my friendship with Joshua but you also broke my brother's heart!"

"It wasn't hard to break his heart, Lana." She snarled. "You know, when I found out about the fire accident at your condo, I had to make sure that it's related to the unexplained events that is going on in your family and you know what I found out?"

"What!" I snapped.

"I found out that the cause of the fire was a short circuit on an arcade machine which by the way, looked similar to the arcade machine that your grandmother mentioned when your grandfather disappeared."

Nadia showed me a photo of the arcade machine that was dated on 1980. She compared it to the picture she secretly took on the roasted arcade machine.

"Coincidence...? I think not." Nadia said. "I had to be involved in your life, Lana. I need to know the truth."

"So, you pretended to be in love with my brother? You sound so desperate." I have never been disgusted at her that I am now.

"It does sound desperate but it was all worth it." She proudly said. "Thanks to your brother, it gave me a reason to visit your place without any suspicion."

"So, I snooped around and found the evidences including the formula for time travel." Nadia added. "You guys built another and suddenly, it all made sense."

I panicked on the inside that the formula is at the hands of a megalomaniac. I already feared that she might use the time machine for her own benefit. I may have a devil may care persona but on the inside, I am truly panicking.

"You proved yourself right." I said. "Now what's your next agenda, huh?"

"Do you really think that I'll tell you my plan, Lana?" Nadia grinned. "A villain never admits its plan."

"At least you admit that you're a villain." I scowled. "But where's Anthony?"

"Anthony?" She snarled. "Or do you mean General Antonio Del Mundo?"

My eyes widened when Nadia mentioned Antonio's true identity. I assumed that she's suspicious about me and my brother but it did not occur to me that it included Antonio.

"Do you really think I wouldn't figure it out? The general will be the living proof that the time machine works perfectly." Nadia added.

"We made the time machine to bring back Antonio to his time!" I admitted. "If we can't bring him back before the Philippine Revolution, our time will be at risk!"

"I don't care, Lana." She nonchalantly said. "I only care what benefits me and that's the time machine."

"Bullshit, Nadia!" I outrageously yelled at her. "It will affect you too!"

"Like I said... I don't care." Nadia said. She stood up from her seat and grabbed all the documents and journal on the table. "See you behind bars, Lana."

Nadia Sarmionte left the interrogation room. She left alone with my own thoughts and feelings. I have never felt disappointed at myself than I am now. I couldn't help but think about Antonio's wellbeing. How is he handling all of this? Where is he right now? Can we still bring him back to 1898? Or is this really the end of the timeline? But most importantly, how are you, Antonio?