Chapter V: Solo

An "oof" escaped his lips as his back hit the floor. The invisible grip was gone.

Han Solo scrambled to his feet and raised his DL-44. He waved it wildly around him, searching for something to shoot. There was nothing. He was alone.

Without his friends.

"Leia? Luke? Chewie!"

His voice echoed down the empty hall. A hollow feeling in his gut followed when there was no reply. He hated it.

Han didn't hesitate in trying to find a way back to his friends. He holstered his blaster and ran back in the way he thought he had come. His boots thudded loudly, echoing down the empty hallways. That was all. Hallways. Every turn just led to another endless passageway. It was a hopeless maze, and it didn't take him long to realize he was lost.

Frustration built up inside Han as he ran faster. It was no use. He ran for what felt like hours, though it could have only been a few minutes before he ran out of breath.

He felt like he was on another floor than the entrance. He couldn't even find the ancient Sith runes engraved into the wall. However, there were no paths that led up or down, and there were no exits.

Maybe move more inward.

He turned to the right, in hopes of finding the center. Instead of leading somewhere, the passageways only grew more confusing. The silence aside from the thudding of his boots was deafening.

Finally, Han skidded to a stop as he was greeted by a dead end. He slapped his palms against the black, cold surface in frustration. With a yell, he flung his blaster across the hall. His anger burned out like a white hot spark. His back hit the wall and he slid down it, covering his face with his hands in despair.

"I can't find them," he growled into his palms. His eyes stung from suppressed tears and a lump in his throat choked him. "I can't find Leia... or Luke... Chewie." Saying their names aloud did not lift his spirits.

Leia was always the one who clung to hope, even more than Luke. He remembered her motivational and encouraging speeches to the pilots and soldiers before engaging the enemy. They helped then, but that's when they were facing something tangible, something they understood, something natural. Han didn't have a clue on what to do against a dead Sith Lord in a creepy Sith tower.

Han Solo was afraid, but not for himself. He once was a smuggler who cared only about saving his own skin. All of that changed when he met a princess and a farm boy. Now he had a family that he would protect with his life, except he couldn't because they were all separated and trapped by their dead enemy. Helplessness, rage, and fear welled up inside him, overflowing past the brim.

"Good," a far away voice crackled. A shiver traveled down his spine. He didn't have the energy to respond to the faint voice.

In his state of hopelessness, a memory resurfaced. The peaceful yet sober face of his brother-in-law appeared. Serious blue eyes met his brown.

"The Emperor's tactic was to test my patience and resolve," the Jedi described quietly. Luke's eyes were far away, reliving a painful memory. "He has a way of breaking it and making me feel emotions I shouldn't feel: fear, anger, hatred. Then in my vulnerable, enraged state, he tried to bend me to his will."

"But he didn't," Han pointed out optimistically.

"He almost did."

He's doing the exact same thing to me, Han realized, raising his head. You really can't teach an old akk dog new tricks.

Palaptine was toying with Han's fear of being unable to protect his friends. The Sith Lord took it out of his hands, opening him up to frustration and helplessness. Then he used Han's vulnerability to his advantage, just as he had done with Luke on the second Death Star.

Collecting himself, Han wiped the tears from his cheeks and stood up stiffly. A chill seemed to blow through the maze, and Han knew what he was doing was greatly displeasing the Emperor's spirit.

"You can't stop me from protecting them," Han called to the presence. "I will find them."

"You underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force." The voice was still distant and cold. There was also a confident smugness about it, something Han Solo was familiar with.

The Force. Again, Solo's mind drifted to another memory with his Jedi friend.

"Well, I don't have the Force," Han shot back confidently. He couldn't remember why he said that at this moment, but he guessed it was another bout of goodnatured banter.

Luke smiled. "Actually, the Force resides in all living things. So while you don't have enough midichlorians to control it, it is still a part of you."

Han merely rolled his eyes and took a sip of his drink.

Well, he wasn't rolling his eyes now. The ghost of Ben Kenobi once told Luke to trust in the Force before he blew up the first Death Star without a targeting computer. Hopefully, the same thing applied to him or at least the old man was watching over him, too.

"Go to hell," he spat at the voice.

Returning his blaster to his holster and taking a deep breath, Han closed his eyes and took a few cautious steps forward.

Trust in the Force, trust in the Force, trust in the— "Ow!" Okay, maybe he didn't need to close his eyes. He could almost hear Chewbacca's open guffaws and Luke's subtle chuckles.

Eyes open now, Han began to jog through the maze, occasionally making hesitant turns down other passageways. Gradually, he started to run faster–his steps more certain–as the feeling in his gut grew stronger.

Even when his breath sounded loud to his ears and the sweat slid down his neck he did not slow. Even when his side cramped and his legs ached he didn't falter.

The maze was dark and the walls were black, but dim lights made him just able to see. His path seemed to glow a bit brighter, guiding him down a set course.

A screech directly behind him caused a headache. "SOLO!" It spurred him on faster.

Han careened around a corner and smacked into a dark shape. It was hairy and tall. Once he put the two and two together, Han stopped struggling.

"Chewie!" he shouted joyously. His co-pilot growled happily and crushed him in a Wookiee hug.

"Oh, I'm so glad to see you too, buddy," Han responded, a wide boyish grin on his face. The relief was overwhelming. "Where's Leia?"

The Wookiee's response was somber, bringing Han back to seriousness. He still had a mission to finish; two more friends to find. One of them his wife.

"It's okay, pal. It wasn't your fault. Let's go find her. Then Luke."

Chewbacca nodded, then gestured Han to lead the way. Han had no idea where Leia was, so he decided to again put his trust in the Force.

The two ex-smugglers entered the shadows, determined to find their friends and escape this Sith hellhole.