Xander

I was sleeping peacefully from drinking so much when a ring came to my phone. I picked up, not bothering to check the I.D.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Buddy. It's your cousin, Jai."

Hearing his name I sat up."Hey. What's up? I haven't heard from you in a while."

"There's a- Why don't you come over today? You don't have classes right?"

"I don't. So, you're not doing anything this morning?"

"Nope. So, come on over."

"Ok-" Jai hung up. I thought it was a little weird the way he acted, but I and he had that kind of relationship where we just did everything freely. I was getting dressed happily. I got an apple, my keys, and a sweater to head out the door. Before I drove over to his home though, I picked up some breakfast for him. On the drive over to his house, an old song from my days of reckless fun.

I and Jai would go into the streets It would be clear skies and sunshine. We'd go off to the park with our friends and have a water-squirting fight with each other. There were a lot of food fights, which got us in trouble. It was never completely serious. They're always fun to be had. Never a dull moment. In times where it was semi-serious, I knew I could trust him and go to him for advice. He was a friend to me as a family member.

I arrived at his house and used the key I had. I walked in quietly and put down the meal. I was hoping to scare him instead I was shocked to see him beaten. Quickly made my way over to him, He was smiling at me.

"What the hell happened?!"

"Just some guys." He tried to play it off calmly, but I wasn't about that bullshit.

"What about it? Who does this type of shit to people? When did this happen."

"3 days ago."

"3 da-Why didn't you tell me?!" I stood up looking down at him. I was angry and upset to see him this way.

"I didn't know what you'd do if I told you. You look like you could kill someone right about now. Calm down."

"I-" I took a deep breath and sat back down. "How and Why did this happen?"

"It a little bit of my fault ...I went out to have fun as usual. I saw some old friends, the important ones.  Then, at an event, I saw that the idiot was her boyfriend. Back in school, his girlfriend always tried to flirt with me, but I knew my place. However, it just happens they weren't together at the time, so I figured it's cool ...Yeah. It wasn't. Those guys called up some friends, and this is me now."

"What were their names?" I asked calmly in hopes he'd give up some information.

"Not telling...Anyway, I'm surprised you weren't out the door looking for someone to beat. You were a lot softer during this conversation. You're usually kinda harsh with lots of tough love. What up is there someone in your life making you this way?" Jai poked at his side teasingly.

"Harsh?" I pulled him into a headlock. "You wimp toughen up."

"Forget I said anything!" He laughed, and I let him go."I'm serious is there someone? You have a girlfriend right?"

"I do, but trust me she wouldn't be the cause of my supposed change.."

"Then who could it be? No one knew in your life? A new relationship?" I could have talked about Alessia because she was new in my life in a way, but I guess it just felt weird to talk about her. I couldn't be sure it was her anyway, at least at the time.

"Now, My keen sense of smell...believes there to be a meal around..." He sniffed the air profusely. "Soup?"

"Yes. You dog."