Let's Get Through This Together

Start from the beginning

The ethereal mage hugged herself, "But... I haven't used my magic in so long..."

"Then let's take it slow. I want you to stop time, take 10 steps, then release the spell."

Sinclaire looked around. She was afraid. She knew her father would be upset with her at her cowardly behavior.

"Dry those tears!"

"But -sniffle- I messed up AGAIN!" wailed an 8-year-old Sinclaire.

"So try again! You need to learn how to pinpoint exactly where the portal exits so you don't end up in a dangerous situation!"

The small girl held her hands together, "Spacial transfer" She whispered. As she separated her hands, swirls of purple and gold mist formed. Pushing her hands forward, a portal made of the colored mist appeared in front of her. Instantly she ran through it, immediately teleporting 20 feet away. This time only 2 feet away from the x in the dirt, the place she was intending to teleport to.

"Better, but not perfect. AGAIN!"

Sinclaire took a deep breath. Holding one hand out, she brings full concentration to her body. "Ethereal time hold" The air turns still, and for a moment her heart bursts with joy! Then it feels as if she was hit by hundreds of pillows at once. The spell releases and she drops onto her butt. "DAMMIT!" Sinclaire looks up, realizing what she's said.

Instead of anger, she's met with a boisterous laugh. "What happened girly?"

Sinclaire pouts. "I was surprised I was able to do the spell, lost concentration and was knocked back into the normal plane of time."

Laxus nods in understanding. "Well you were able to cast the spell, so it's a good start. Try it again."

Sinclaire took a moment to just stare at Laxus. She considered him to be quite attractive, but at the moment all she could see was his kindness. It made her wonder why a guild ran by his grandfather would be unhappy with him. Standing up, she tries again, this time keeping her mind on the spell. After 10 steps she released the spell, returning to the current time seamlessly. She looks to Laxus, joy plastered on her face.

Laxus nods in approval. "Good, let's see what else you can do."

An hour later, Sinclaire was sitting on the ground, covered in sweat and dizzy. Laxus hands her a bottle of water and a granola bar. "For having your magic sealed away for 7 years, you've got a good handle on it. Some hard training will increase your magic so you can keep up your spells longer. How's your combat training?"

Sinclaire awkwardly twists her hair in her fingers. "None... no one's ever taught me how to fight."

Laxus nods, eyes focusing behind her. "You're early."

Sinclaire quickly turns her head, seeing a small group of people in matching clothes. She's quick to scramble to her feet, rushing to stand behind Laxus. "Better than being late. Is this her?" said girl steps closer to Laxus, hand touching his back as she peeks around them.

"Will I have to talk to them alone?" She whispers.

"I'll stick by you." He whispers back. "It is, let's be quick about telling her side; she's just finished training and will need to eat soon."

After painfully recounting the last 7 years of her life(standing behind Laxus the entire time) she was now tired, hungry and melancholy.

"I'm sure we could easily find you a place that can help you back on your feet. We have a program that can help you."