Chapter Two: ROSIE

Zakary walked into the Wilcox County Archives to begin his research into the Building at 161 North Main Street, Prairie Bluff. The archive building was an old building, looked to be built around the 1970s, one-story, tan brick, and glass. It also looked like it could have been a bank at one time, because it had a drive-up window on one side that was blocked off.

Walking in the double glass doors at the front of the building Zakary noticed the front area was large and open with bookcases lining the left, right and rear walls. To the inside of the room was three rows of wooden tables that had seen better days, but you could tell they were solid with thick wooden tops and legs. The tables were long and had three wooden chairs with leather covering on each side. The leather was well worn, but cared for.

On the bookcases, reaching from floor to ceiling were books of various sizes and colors, old bindings and new. Between the two bookcases lining the back wall was a doorway with a door that had a long square window in it, the door was propped open with an old "iron" one that was cast in pure iron, all one piece, that you might see in an antique store. It was the kind of iron that you needed to heat up over a fire or something. Zakary thought, neat iron; he also assumed that the door led to the administrative offices in the back. Just as he was pondering this, an elderly man stepped out of the doorway.

"Can I help you?" he asked, as he was walking toward Zakary.

Zakary responded, "Yes, sir, you can."

The gentleman held out his hand and said, "My name is Mr. Wilcox, I take it, since you are here, you are looking for information on our town?"

Zakary shook his hand and introduced himself.

The building at 161 North Main Street sat snuggly in a renovated part of downtown Prairie Bluff, and was currently surrounded by upscale restaurants, bars, and boutiques. Main Street was one of the up and coming areas of Prairie Bluff with constant projects of revitalization and even more "for sale" revitalization opportunities if you had the money to invest.

In the 1900s Prairie Bluff's growth was attributed to the introduction of the Southern Railroad, and with this became the "Hub of the South." The Southern Railroad tracks extended through the northern portion of the city almost parallel to North Main Street. The introduction of the railroad afforded the ability for businessmen and farmers to transport their goods and materials to larger cities in shorter time, shipping via rail, in addition to the passenger train. This introduction caused a boom in Prairie Bluff. Cotton, peanuts, timber, and other commodities were shipped via rail and could reach faster, farther and in larger quantities than anyone could dream of just years prior.

Remy's building is located in an area that is called the "Parish" by party and restaurant-goers. It is part of approximately ten square blocks running in all directions and revitalization is expanding beyond the ten blocks to encompass more and more of the downtown area. Currently, the Parish is composed of an eclectic mixture of commercial and warehouse structures dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The buildings are closely spaced and although many of the upper facades reflect their original historic appearance, many of the first-floor facades have been modernized to meet the needs of modern consumers. Most of the commercial structures are of varying widths and sizes and are two-story or three-story brick buildings, there is an old gas station that now operates as an upscale consignment shop, a couple of banks, and three skyscrapers that are five stories tall; all structures are brick, and have a variety of facades, some decorative, some plain.

Zakary was concentrating his research on Main Street, and more specifically 161 North Main Street. He was curious to see if there was anything significant that would have impacted the structure historically; also, if there was anything significant five years ago, around the time that Remy said Screaming Lady showed up.

He poured over all the historic maps, old newspaper clippings, history books, and the like, but did not see anything of significance that would have impacted the building. There were some road projects, and pipe laying, but nothing that he felt was significant, but still he logged all the information that he had discovered into his computer, he rubbed his eyes and closed the computer, returned the books to Mr. Wilcox and thanked him for his assistance.

Just as he was about to give up his research at the archives; a very refined older lady walked in. She was around sixty or seventy years old and walked with a cane. She had beautiful features and was dressed very well, as a southern lady would be dressed. She was in a navy suit with large white flowers and a small brimmed matching white felt hat. She had on low healed white shoes that also matched her purse that she carried on the opposite arm of the cane. She looked over at Zakary as she walked in and smiled, he smiled back and thought, I bet she knows some history of this town that are not in these books.

Zakary waited for the Lady and Mr. Wilcox to finish their conversation, then Zakary walked over to her and in his usual flirty manner he charmingly asked, "excuse me, young lady, my name is Zakary Monet and I am doing some research on some of the buildings in your beautifully historic town. I was wondering if you would have some time for me to ask you some questions?" Big smile, of course. His smile could melt through the coldest of hearts.

"Nice to meet you. Zakary? Did you say it was?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am, I did, I am with JEZ Ghost Negotiators," Zakary answered.

"Well, you can turn off the big white teeth smile machine, as charming as it is, no need to use it on me. My name is Rosie, Rosie Blanchard and my afternoon is wide open, I would be happy to assist you in your research. You are researching Remy's place, right?" Rosie asked.

Zakary stuttered, and his smile faded just a little, not sure if he was more surprised that she knew about Remy hiring them, or that she was unphased by his smile and charm, "why yes, yes ma'am, I am, but how did you know?"

Rosie flashed a mischievous smile back at him and said, "well, you see, this is a very small town and nothing happens in this town without EVERYONE knowing about it. Matter-of-fact, I bet, before Remy even hung up the phone after talking to your sister, the word had spread to just about everyone in town."

Zakary just looked at her, the half-smile still frozen on his face. Not knowing what to say, he just let her go on.

She went on "Plus, the "Lady" in the Diner, that is making all the fuss, well, that has been the talk of the town for years now, it is about time that Remy did something about it!"

At that, Zakary's smile broadened again, and he nodded agreeingly, "Well, we are here to help, and I am hoping you will be able to assist me in anything that may NOT be in any of the books, maps, newspapers, etc...?"

Rosie sat down at a table in a leather-covered chair. She set her cane against the table, very slowly and deliberately laid her purse on the table, slowly took out her hatpin, and laid her hat on top of her purse. Her hair was a silvery grey, and was put up in a perfect tight bun on the top of her head. With her greyish blue eyes looking at him intently she said "Well? have a seat, we have much to talk about."