Chapter 20: Sunlit Loch Etive

Start from the beginning

The other two girls turned.

Indeed, Leo had shot the mint-haired ex-prince (who was chatting quite obliviously away to Aquarius) a furtive glance, his expression surprisingly unreadable for once. They quickly looked away before Leo noticed them staring.

"Yeah, maybe... maybe he's just curious about Libra! He was a prince, after all." Cancer pointed out. "Most people would find an ex-prince interesting."

"I'm sorry, but no way. Libra – pure, cinnamon roll Libra–!" Gemini gasped. "There's absolutely no way – and I'm not –"

"You're not doing a very good job of being quiet."

Gemini muffled her shriek.

Taurus raised an eyebrow at them. "Sagittarius, just because you're not going to spread rumours about Aries' and Scorpio's relationship doesn't mean that you should go around spreading rumours about the other members of the Zodiacs."

"I'm not!" Sagittarius exclaimed. "And I'm not going to stop – it's just – I was theorising! And I was just thinking to myself, not..."

"That Leo..." Gemini growled.

Taurus sighed. "Gemini, please do calm down. It is likely that, because Leo is a new recruit, he wishes to know more about everybody. Not because... of that. We did just meet him yesterday."

"What I said," Cancer added.

"So... please do not go about bothering him."

"Well... you have a point." Gemini said reluctantly.

"Alright, alright!" Sagittarius raised her hands. "I'll drop the topic. But I'll be watching!" Panic flitted across her features. "And please do not tell Libra or Aquarius! They'll –"

"Right... I won't." Gemini shrugged. "But I'll keep an eye on Leo just the same." The pink-haired girl picked up her pace to join Libra and Aquarius in their own conversation.

Taurus frowned and picked up his pace to leave Sagittarius and Cancer be. However, in a few seconds, he turned around and called, "Everyone! We're near the town."

"How do you know?" Leo asked.

"I was born there." Taurus said curtly. "The Well of Wisdom – which is just an ancient well that gets its water from the stream leading from Loch Etive – should be half a mile west from Vesper."

"You were born there, huh? Do you want – I mean, your family must live there, right? Don't you want –"

A chilling aura seemed to be cast over the area as Taurus fixated Leo with a stare. "It would be kind of you to drop the topic."

"Right! Right – sorry." Leo raised his hands. "Didn't realise –"

Taurus let out a long exhale and all of the iciness seemed to be let loose with that single breath. "I haven't told you, have I? We never did do the traditional introduction."

"My apologies."

"No, it's alright." Taurus waved a hand dismissively. "No offence taken."

"Right. So... the Well of Wisdom?" Aries asked.

"Mhm. I'll lead the way, then."

After a sharp swerve down through the thicker part of undergrowth, they eventually arrived at the well; a small, ancient structure covered with moss and lichen, with water seeping out from between the aged rocks.

"I don't see any fish here." Aquarius remarked, peering down into the dark, sloshing water. "A shame. We could've had a change of pace for lunch."

"It's just a myth." Pisces scuffed a shoe through the grass and fallen leaves, her eyes lighting up as her foot slid against something. She leaned down and picked up what appeared to be a small nut. "It's one of the hazelnuts from the nine hazelnut trees in the myth! I wonder..."