TWENTY_ONE

From where he stood behind the bar busily pouring out drinks for his customers, Dave could just about make out the table across the room, where Amanda was standing talking to her prospective employers Marcia an older woman, maybe in her late forties or early fifties whose stylish short hair glinted with grey highlights and Rob her partner a plump middle-aged man, after Emily had insisted on bringing her over to introduce them to her just as they were finishing the first course of their meal.

Though he was too far away to catch any of the conversation, he noted that everyone seemed to having an amiable exchange,  chatting and smiling, and laughing amongst each other; which Dave guessed was a good sign.

Amanda had made it plain, that she preferred to try and get this job without riding on the coat tails of her father's reputation, and so wanted to downplay it as much as possible. Even if perhaps they did realize there might be some connection, that she would not be the one to bring it up or mention it.

She had been sitting chatting with them for over fifteen minutes before she got up and left them to finish their dessert in peace. Catching her eye, as she walked away, Dave immediately beckoned her over with a flick of his hand, wanting to know how it had gone.

Amanda obliged, coming to sit on one of the empty barstools looking a little nervous and excited at the same time as she folded her arms on the bar counter.

"So how did it go?" he asked, "Do you think they want you for the job?"

"Hopefully," Amanda replied, "I still have to do the formal interview, they want me to come in by the end of the week for that, but we had a nice chat"

"Well, that sounds promising" Dave smiled,

"Yeah, though I am worried I don't have perhaps the professional experience in the same way as some of the other candidates might have," Amanda admitted with a small worried frown, "I mean a lot of the stuff I done, was more on a personal level for my father"

"Well considering the kind of people you catered for, all those VIP guests and politicians that should qualify you, in some way" Dave pointed out

"Maybe," Amanda agreed, "Though, I did kind of keep it vague about who I was helping, talking in more general terms about the charities I supported and ran functions for, rather than mentioning my father's name" she explained

"Well you have probably impressed them with the fact you participated in all those Charity functions, so I reckon that will be a good thing" Dave nodded thoughtfully

"I guess I will know for sure after next week when I do the proper interview" Amanda replied with a smile, though still looking a little anxious

"You will be fine" Dave assured her

"Yes," Amanda nodded, "they seem like really nice people, and they were running by me some of their ideas for their themed weekends, I would love to be able to help them get it up and running, I have a few ideas myself already, this job would be right up my street" she confessed wistfully.

"Then we will have to make sure you get it." Dave grinned, but had to excuse himself from her company to go serve another customer, and Amanda decided to take the opportunity to go and find Emily, to let her know how it had gone.

After she had left the bar, Dave was still going over their conversation, and thinking how much Amanda wanted the job, even more he thought she deserved the job, and his mind starting to work overtime on how he could help her, as he glanced across the table where Marcia and Rob still sat.

A thought came into his head. He knew Amanda was refusing to mention her father John Harrington's name, and he could understand that, but then on the flipside, why should she not take advantage some of his prestige after all he had done? He owed it to her that much, and she deserved it, even if she didn't see it quite like that. He found himself reasoning