TWELVE

Dave didn't finish work till almost twelve, after tidying up making sure the pub was securely locked up for the evening. When he got through the door of his flat, he was a little surprised to find Amanda pacing the living room looking a little anxious. She stopped dead in her tracks as he came through the door, but the anxious expression remained. He noticed she had changed into pyjamas and dressing gown, from the last time he had visited her earlier in the evening, her hair hung loosely around her pale face.

"What's up?" he enquired warily

"I'm sorry, I hope this is a good time I can talk to you, I was thinking about coming down to the bar earlier. only I knew you would be busy and it didn't seem appropriate" Amanda explained,

"Is everything ok?" Now Dave was feeling a little anxious himself now, wondering what was so urgent.

"Oh, I feel bad for coming to you like this when you have helped me so much already" Amanda then said guiltily, " I mean, its late and you have just finished work, you are probably tired you don't need me burdening you with my problems"

"Now you have me curious as to what your problems are, so you had better tell me now, or I will get no sleep wondering about it" Dave replied.

"Sorry," she replied seeming to cringe slightly with how she was coming across to him like a dithering idiot

"Why don't we sit down and discuss it," Dave then suggested sensibly. he was tired, especially with standing most of the night, but he decided not to mention this to Amanda.

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure," he replied, now going over and sitting on the sofa, and eyeing her expectantly.

"OK," she finally relented going over and sitting next to him, "Though I imagine you are going to find this all very silly, and think I am stupid"

"Try me," Dave told her, wishing she would just get to the point now

"Well, for most of the day, I have been thinking how I am going to move forward from here, and what my next move will be, and I have come to realise I am going to have to find some sort of employment, especially if I intend to become financially independent from my father"

"That sounds sensible to me, not silly or stupid" Dave replied, not quite understanding her anxiety and concern.

"The thing is, I don't know how to go about it; finding some sort of employment or job. It is something I never had to really consider before until now," she then explained sounding almost ashamed.

"No, now you mention it, I can't imagine you would have much need for it, with your upbringing" Dave realised dryly.

So, the thing is, I really don't know where to begin and start looking. I am not even sure if I have any kind of experience or qualifications that would help me find employment of some sort, or what I would be good at. So, I was wondering if you could help me a little bit, you know, in understanding how I go about it"

"I see" Dave replied neutrally, whilst taking in what she was asking him, not sure he was up for it.

"I feel  really bad for coming to you with this, after all you have done already," Amanda now hurriedly said, "and I wouldn't ask, only I have no one else to turn too right now. I just want to get myself sorted, so I can move out of here in three months' time, and not give you any more trouble, or inconvenience you further"

"Well, I guess when you put it like that, I suppose I could help you in some way." Dave finally relented, realising the wisdom in her words, and how helping her, would be also helping himself.