Chapter Eleven

Aiyana knocked on the door, she wasn't sure if anyone would be awake, it was late at night. She picked at her nails to calm her anxiety.

The door opened slightly, the person behind it checked who was there before opening it wide, an older woman looked at her in surprise, "Aiyana, I wasn't expecting you today."

"We just got back from a mission and my aunt 'allowed me' to come see Silas. Can you believe that? I have to get permission to see my own brother, it's ridiculous."

"Let's go inside and talk," Eliza stepped aside to let her in, "Silas has missed you. Would you like some tea?"

"Is it alright if I go and see Silas first?"

"Of course, he may be asleep. I'll warm you something to eat."

"Thank you Eliza," Aiyana went straight to Silas' room, she hadn't seen him in so long, her aunt didn't like her being here. Her life revolved on that woman's goals and she didn't like that.

She let out an angry sigh and opened the door, when she saw her brother sprawled out on his bed she relaxed a little, his blanket and pillows having been pushed off the bed by him were on the floor. He was sleeping peacefully now but that wasn't always the case, he was a kicker from Aiyana's experience of sharing a bed with him when they were younger.

He looked a lot taller than the last time Aiyana saw him, Aiyana forgot that he was already eleven years old, time went by so quickly. She walked over to his bedside.

" Silas, wake up buddy," Aiyana gently shook the young boy awake. He groaned and rocked over, his eyes stayed shut.

"Silas, it's me, I'm back."

"Dreaming," he muttered.

"You're not dreaming, it's like really me. Just open your eyes bud."

He rolled over again, towards her and slowly opened his eyes. He stared at her for a moment, unmoving. After about thirty seconds he let out an excited scream, "Yana," he grinned showing that he was missing a few teeth. When he first started to speak, he hadn't been able to say Aiyana, he sounded more like he was saying 'Yana.' As they grew up, the nickname stuck.

"You're back," he quickly sat up and wrapped his tiny arms around Aiyana's torso and snuggled into her chest. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," she held him tightly as if it would be her last time, she always did as she never knew how long she would be away for, or if she would ever come back.

"You're so tall now, you better grow to be taller then me or I'll be mad."

"I guess you'll be mad soon enough, you better still come visit me then."

"You know I would, I wouldn't be able to resist."

"It took you long enough to come back."

"I tried but you know how auntie is."

A sour expression came upon Silas' face when Aiyana mentioned their aunt, they shared a similar opinion of their aunt and it wasn't too good.

"Are you going back tonight?"

"No, I'll be able to stay with you for a few days. But I'll need to go back eventually."

"Or you could just stay," he said hopefully.

"I can't bud, I wish I could. Maybe one day but not now."

He frowned, "you don't have to do this Aiyana, we could run away somewhere and never come back."

"I'm not strong enough for that yet Silas, I may be able to keep us hidden for a few years but I don't know if I could keep it up."

"But what about the both of us I'm strong too, I've been working on my magic. Ms. Eliza says I'm getting really strong, she says our family are very strong sorcerers. Says I'm taking after our parents." He grinned, "I wish I remembered more about them."

"I do too, I'll think about what you said, we may be able to make it work but I'd need to prepare."

Silas yawned he was looking a bit tired, Aiyana had woken him up pretty late at night. He needed to get some sleep.

"You should go back to sleep, you looked tired."

Silas shook his head, "no, I want to talk more."

"We can talk in the morning, I'll still be here. I have to talk to Ms. Eliza anyway. I promise I'll be here when you wake up. Go to bed okay?"

"Okay."

Aiyana kissed his forehead and squeezed him a bit tighter, "good night bud."

"Night Yana."

Aiyana slipped out of his room to let him sleep and went towards the dinning area.

Eliza was sitting with two cups of tea and a pastry for Aiyana, she was an amazing baker who often sold her baked goods at her local market.

Eliza was in no way a rebel, she supported the queen as most sorcerers did. But she had no hesitation when Aiyana came to her doorstep with a four year old Silas and asked her to take him in. After all she was a good friend of their parents.

She wanted to separate her brother and her aunt so her aunt couldn't rope him into war when he got old enough. Aiyana wouldn't be able to bear her aunt hurting her brother. She placed him in a loyalist town for a reason. But of course her aunt found out where Silas was just two years later.

"How is the war going?" Eliza asked sipping on her tea.

Aiyana sighed, "it feels like it's never  going to end, how long has it been since it started. What has it been? Six years? Though the war hadn't truly started until three years ago. The rebellion was small at first but it just keeps getting bigger. I'm so tired of it, the fighting, the abuse, I don't think I can take much longer."

Eliza reached her free hand across the table and put it on top of Aiyana's. "Your parents would be so upset over the way she's treating you, you're father would be pissed. He was always so protective of you and to know his sister, the woman he trusted to take care of you while he went to fight is treating you like trash, it wouldn't go well for her. I know she can do a lot to you but you need to get away no matter what, that woman will ruin you."

"I knew this whole time that she was planning on taking the throne for herself us the rebels were to overthrow the crown. But I didn't believe she'd actually have the guts to do it, with the council wanting to become more of a democracy she'd have to get rid of all of them. I didn't think she would but it seems more like she's going to, I overheard something I shouldn't have. But she does not deserve to be queen, I don't think I can support that. Or fight for a group that's just leading her to the throne."

Aiyana had never admitted that out loud before, she never thought she would be able to. But someone had been changing her mind bit by bit.

"I'm not surprised, she always wanted power like that ever since we were children. She was very angry when she was denied a position in the elders so when she left and joined the rebellion none of us were surprised. She's power hungry and always will be."

"Can I tell you something? I haven't told anyone this."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm considering switching sides, to the crown."

Eliza let out a gasp she lowered her cup and looked at Aiyana with wide eyes, "what was that?"

"I met someone who changed my mind about a lot of things, I know my aunt has manipulated my memory  and shelters me from what she doesn't want me to know. But I felt like I belonged in the rebellion but they're making me consider differently, did you know about the Fërrum?"

Eliza's eyes widened again, "what about them? Are they back?"

Aiyana nodded, "they are, I hardly knew anything about them. The queen is trying so hard to fight them and fight the rebellion at the same time. And my aunt knew about this the whole time! Isn't a rebellion pointless when there are creatures that could wipe out the people who live here. She hasn't told anyone about it!" She ranted on and on, realizing she has already made her mind up.

"That is alarming, how are you going to deal with your aunt if you switch sides?"

"There may be someone stronger than her that may be able to help me out with that."

"Who?"