Chapter 36: Pinky Promise

Start from the beginning

Ice-cream?

Whatever he was up to, I didn't question it. Seemed like the time to just go with the flow for once. 

Quietly... well as quiet as one can be on a house full of werewolves, we snuck downstairs and headed for the garage. 

When Cal walked to my car, I had to bite my tongue to keep quiet and not tell him that he can't drive. But I guess this was a surprise and I didn't want to think any more than I already was, so I allowed it.

When he walked over to the correct side of the car this time, he shot me a wink before we sat down and peeled out of the driveway. 

Taking the top down, I felt the chill of the night air against my face and it was refreshing. 

My eyes focused on Cal's relaxed expression and I admired the beauty of this man before me. The one who got out of his warm bed in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep and is now driving up to who knows where with ice-cream in the back. 

As the car drove closer to the southern mountain that stood at the end of our pack territory, I gave him a curious look but said nothing.

When he turned unto the familiar dirt road that led up the mountain, I finally opened my mouth.

"How do know about this place?"

With a smirk, he shifted gears before answering, "Mind link is pretty handy. I also may or may not have woken Max up and demanded he tells me what's the most scenic route here."

"Knew I fell in love with you for a reason," I gave him a wink and felt his heart skip a beat through our mind link. 

"So it wasn't my amazing good looks and boyish charm? I'm hurt." 

"Those were bonuses," I grinned.

Cal pulled into the small area that allowed us to park and look off the cliff. It was a secluded spot that could only be accessed from our pack, so I knew we were safe unless there was an attack.

Which I was desperately hoping didn't happen. 

He ushered me out of the car and I took in the spectacular view that never gets old. The crescent-shaped moon shined in all its glory above us. Thousands of stars glittered across the sky. Tiny dots of the street lights we had the pack illuminated from down below. 

"It's beautiful up here," Cal stole the words from my thoughts. 

"Penelope and Charlotte and I used to sneak up here all the time, I forgot the last I've come up," I climbed onto the hood of the car as Cal grabbed the ice-cream and a spoon. "Don't scratch my car," I playfully glared at him as he climbed up and passed over my cookie-dough ice-cream.

"Enjoy," he said and pressed a kiss to the side of my head before leaning back.

Opening it up, I stared down at the container but didn't scoop any out. My tummy suddenly turned as I didn't feel like having any. 

Something must definitely be wrong if my second favorite thing on this planet isn't appealing to me.

Covering it back up, I placed it to the side and felt Cal's eyes staring a hole into me from behind, but he didn't say a word. 

Hugging my knees to my chest, I looked out at the view as the silence stretched on. 

I didn't want to admit it before, but something's been plaguing my mind. It wasn't just Finn's death, it was something else. Something more and something I didn't want to speak out before the words became too real. 

Because if that happened, I don't think I'd survive it. Most importantly, I don't think I'd want to survive it. 

"Why aren't you speaking?" I asked into the silence when Cal remained quiet.