A White Wolf

Valerie whimpers as she hears Nicole scream. She can hear her bones cracking and altering themselves to cater to the shape of her wolf spirit. Her heartbeat accelerates as she remembers the first time she shifted. She doesn't want her to go through that kind of pain, but as werewolves, it cannot be prevented.

The only thing the first part of ritual can do is to calm the person's emotions and mind about the shifting process but it does not do anything to the pain they'll experience.

Nicole crouches down to the ground, her hands grabbing the soil for support. She pants and screams as another jolt of pain courses through her body. Tears well up in her eyes as she feels her bones rearranging themselves.

Valerie flinches at the sound yet again. She wants to close her eyes, but those who are present are concentrating their magical essence on Nicole so she can shift successfully. To the eyes of others, they all look like they are only spectators and witnesses of her transformation. However, in the eyes of those lending their magical essence to another, they can see a light blue line connecting them to the one they are lending it to.

Nicole's face elongates as it forms into the snout of a wolf. White fur begins to grow from her skin and her human figure grew bigger. She opens her eyes and it glows golden, something different from what is typically seen.

Valerie controls a gasp that almost escaped from her lips. She turns her head to their parents to see that they are staring agape at Nicole's form.

The ceremonial robe manages to cover her wolf's body while she lays down on the ground with little energy left inside her. The witch continues to chant, her eyes concentrating on Nicole's white wolf.

Mother speaks right beside me, "She's a white wolf."

White wolves aren't common. Valerie thinks. They haven't read records of white wolves in their pack, and they certainly haven't seen one at all. She doubts one will appear in the other packs as well.

The witch ends her chant and the ceremonial flames burn out. She stares at Nicole's wolf with a confused expression on her face before declaring, "The ceremony is done."

She uses her powers to light the four torches once again.

Nicole slowly stands up in all fours and observes all those around her—from her family to the witch, and the other wolves around her. Her pupils constrict and she narrows her golden eyes at them as if eyeing her prey.

"Nikki?" Chris calls out to her, holding both his hands out to welcome her.

Nicole snaps her head in his direction but doesn't do anything to approach him. She remains on guard and examines him once again.

"Chris... I don't think that's Nikki," Valerie says, her eyes not leaving her sister's wolf form.

Chris knows it isn't Nicole. He knows her wolf has taken over. Calling his sister might help her regain consciousness and control over her wolf. The wolf itself looks powerful. It might even be as powerful as his wolf.

"What are you talking about, Valerie?" their mother asks.

"The wolf's eyes, Mom. Those aren't Nikki's," Chris responds, slowly approaching Nicole as if at any time she can snap and attack everyone she encounters.

Nicole growls at Chris and tackles him to the ground, the ceremonial robe falling off her body. She snarls at his face, trying to scare him away and overpower his position. She adds strength to her paw to trap Chris between her and the ground.

'Jeremiah! Caleb! Subdue her! Do it gently. I don't want us to hurt her.'

At the Alpha's command, a sandy wolf and a brown wolf come running towards Nicole. The white wolf growls at them and attacks them head-on, almost biting onto the sandy wolf's flesh. The brown wolf tries to bite her neck gently to calm her down, but the white wolf dodges his attack.