Chapter 9

I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom for me and you. And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

BAM!

Evan slammed his fist into the volume button and put his shaky hand back on the steering wheel. The car was parked a couple houses down from his mother's; Evan just sat in the seat, frozen. I had tried to talk to him, but he ignored me. I couldn't even get him to look at me. I had made a huge mistake taking him to his mother's house. This craziness all started because of me. I had tried to put on music to soothe him, but that resulted in him trying to break his fucking radio.

"Evan, we should go. We can't do anything."

Evan shifted in his seat and I heard him sigh. "That's not true, Mel. There's so much we can do. W-We could run away together, you, me, and Bethany. She could be ours, Mel."

"Our what?"

"Our kid. She doesn't deserve to live in such a shitty place..."

"And you think we could take care of her? You think we could just run away? Get a fucking grip, Evan. We have no money. We're not even dating!"

"But I called you my boyfriend, we are."

"You're delusional, I'm still with Dany," I screamed.

Evan stared at me with a burning rage behind his eyes that made me want to disappear. He looked like he was going to kill me. I shrunk back in my seat and looked out the window. In my peripheral vision I could see him typing something on his phone. From the way he was jabbing at the keys, it looked as though he was going to dent the phone. He put the phone to his ear, and I heard someone say something on the other line. I couldn't tell who it was. Then he set it down and grabbed my shoulder.

"Get out," He said, pushing at my shoulder.

"What? Why?"

"I-I just don't want to fight right now. I don't want to hurt you... I called your father and he is on his way to pick you up. He told me that he was already out, so it will only take him about ten minutes to get here."

"You're going to just leave me here. You fucking..."

"No, don't say anything else. I just need to be alone."

"Okay, okay, yeah, be alone... Jackass."

I forced the door open and kicked the door closed. Before I could yell at him more, he sped away, leaving me standing in the middle of the street, thirty minutes away from my house. Why the hell would he do that to me? I was just trying to help him. Where was he even going? He drove off in the wrong direction. I grumbled as I sat on the curb. It was actually a nice day out. The sun was a bit sweltering, but if I wasn't on a fucking curb, I would have been swimming in my pool. I might have even been swimming with Evan.

It was much longer than ten minutes. My dad arrived twenty minutes after Evan had left. He seemed very confused as I hopped into the passenger's side.

"Why are you here? Why did Evan call me?"

"He left me here."

"Why you two here?"

"Well..."

I tried to think of another reason why we could be here, but nothing was coming to my head. All I could think about was how his mother told him that he wasn't welcome there and how she had just slammed the door in his face. He didn't deserve it. He was a good guy.