Chapter 3

Grabbing my Razor, we rode down towards the park. There was a glorious cement sidewalk that led to the park which was an amazing place just to ride and feel the wind whip past you. I crouched down on my Razor to get more momentum; Evan was well past me on his tiny brown Mongoose. He saw me looking and did a 360-degree spin; show off. I just rolled my eyes and pulled my shoulders in towards my body to gain more speed. As we rounded a bend, the park became visible. It was called Blues Park. All the structures were a hideous dark blue and all the paint was peeling away. It wasn't the best-looking park, but as long as the monkey bars functioned, that's all that mattered to us.

Evan threw down his bike in the grass and ran into the wood chips towards the monkey bars. I watched in awe as he jumped up and pulled himself over-top of the bars. His upper body strength was insane. I dropped my Razor in the grass next to his bike and ran towards the staggered monkey bars.

"You didn't even attempt the challenge of the staggered bars," I said as he settled himself on the flat bars.

"That's because my butt fits nicely on these."

I jumped to grab the lowest bar, but my fingers only brushed it before I fell back to the ground. I could hear Evan sniggering and I glared at him before leaping up and grabbing a hold of it this time. The next obstacle though was actually pulling myself up to grab the bar next to it which was slightly higher. I didn't have as much strength as Evan. I pulled my body upward and gripped the next bar then tried to pull my full body over the bars. Grunting and cursing, the next thing I knew, I was hanging limp off the two bars. Evan was still giggling. I sighed, and hung there, defeated.

I heard wood chips crunch and suddenly Evan had his hands on my waist.

"You need to do more pull ups."

Evan pushed me up until I got my knees secured on a bar. Then he followed and sat on the highest bar. He was grinning from ear to ear as he watched me struggle on the bar next to him.

"Ass," I muttered.

"What did you say?" He put his hand under his chin and leaned forward towards me with the smuggest expression.

"You're a jack ass," I said, kicking his foot.

He started to kick me too and soon he got a hold of my shirt collar.

"You know if you're not nice to me, I can just let you drop."

He tugged on my collar and sent me falling forward. Right before I fell through the bars though, he pushed me back.

"Evan, quit it," I said and tried prying his hand away from my shirt.

He grinned evilly at me and did it again. This time he kept me suspended there.

A panicked, shrill voice sounded throughout the air at that exact moment.

"What the hell are you doing, Evan?"

I looked down towards the ground and saw a petite brunette. She had her hand over her mouth. She must have thought that Evan was actually going to throw me down. Evan pushed me back onto the bar and waved down at the girl. She gave a small wave back, still looking a little concerned.

"Willow this is Melvin, Mel for short. Mel this is Willow."

"Hi Willow, nice to meet you," I said, jumping down to shake her hand. She had the wimpiest hand shake ever, but when I looked into her eyes, I was mesmerized. They were such a unique grey. I let go of her hand but kept staring at her.