Twas The Night Before Christmas

Your point of view

The last few days had been a whirlwind of craziness and joy. Since arriving at the cabin Shayne and I had become inseparable - mainly because we were basically living in close quarters for that time. The first night we'd spent unpacking and figuring things out about the place, then having an early night because we were both exhausted. He'd taken the main room since it was his holiday plan that I'd hijacked, so I happily took the twin room.

The next morning was one I'd never forget. I woke up earlier than I normally did, adrenaline fuelling my body. The first thing I'd done was open up my curtains. White light streamed into my room and after a minute of being blinded my eyes adjusted. I breathed out, my breath fogging up the window's glass as I gazed outside. Picturesque wouldn't even begin to describe it. The whole landscape was like a scene from a movie. Snow-capped mountains so near I could touch them, a thick forest of tall pine trees and adorable birds surrounding me, a long road heading down the mountain we were on and leading to the tiny village at the base. I could see teeny shops and cafes, some smaller houses, and then nothing but nature for miles. I'd never seen nothing but frosted greenery before. It was a surreal feeling. As if it were a new planet. If I looked straight ahead, as opposed to down the hill towards the village, there were just mountains and a crystal blue sky filled with floating snowflakes, as if they'd been suspended in motion. Barely any clouds, a lot different from the stormy night before.

Thinking of that, I reluctantly left the window I'd been staring out of for half an hour and grabbed my phone. I checked the flights, the majority of me still wanting them to be cancelled. They were. I sighed and chucked my phone on the bed before taking place by the window again. It was impossible to get bored looking at the sight.

I heard a faint sound of singing. A smile crept onto my face. Shayne was up. I pulled the curtains open as widely as possible, flooding my room with natural blue skylight. Then I chucked on a thick hoodie and some slipper socks, brushed my hair quickly and imprecisely put it into a messy bun, and headed out of my room. I skipped past Shayne's room, seeing that the door was open and he wasn't in there. Trying not to slip on the stairs I descended and found my companion in the kitchen as he brewed some coffee. I smiled to myself, admiring the man before me as he worked away without any clue I was there. It was like seeing him in his natural habitat, humming to the quiet radio and swaying slightly.

"Did you really bring your own coffee grinder?" I snickered.

He jumped slightly at my voice, then turned at grinned at me.

"How else am I to make my steamy bean water?"

"I hate it when you call it that," I mumbled and hopped onto the nearest stool. He stood opposite me on the other side of the island, making his coffee. "So, what are your plans for the day?"

I grabbed a handful of grapes from the fruit bowl his friend had kindly left for us (well, Shayne).

"I was thinking about heading into the village, checking the place out. Then probably going to the gym there. Then I dunno. Go for a walk or at least do something outside. Then when it's dark we could watch a movie or something."

I nodded along as he spoke. "Sounds fun. Mind if I tag along?"

"Not at all. It'll probably be more fun with you here anyway," he said, his eyes focusing on mine intensely as his coffee stewed.

"Awww I'm blushing," I said sarcastically, trying to hide my actual blush.

I got off the stool and busied myself with pouring some cereal that was already in the home. He chuckled and took his coffee to the adjoining lounge.