Chapter 10

X

So she led them down into The Network, a vast fusillade of sewers; no sign of life in the wretchedness. They had to reluctantly walk through the deep waters to cross into the next sector. An undistinguishable shadow emerged upon the dirty waters…

“What is that?!” Blake screamed.

“GET OUT OF THE WATERS, AMBUSH!!!” Lozada deafeningly shouted.

The group chaotically sprawled out, and creatures, hideous, ferocious, uncontrollable monsters surfaced.

“What the bloody hell is that?! Throw the rocks!!” Eva shrieked, even she did not plan this untimely end.

“Hello, we never get company do we lads? So I suppose you wanna know how I got like this? The names Professor Junesday; and this is my unfortunate story: I was in my thirties when the incident happened, I had just been promoted to work with the country’s best scientists; they asked me to look into genetic mutations related to the environmental habitats of Crocodylidae and Serpentes. Otherwise known Snakes and Crocs, well the 2020 North American Earthquake occurred and I was at the centre of it, sending all of the chemical laboratory beakers full of animal genes onto me, now I live in a recluse-like way, hiding in the shadows. We’re hungry, boys lunch is served!” The leader instructed whilst hissing and spitting violently; he was half snake half crocodile. His tail scaly but torso rough, he had two arms and a long serpent’s tail, like a lizard. The group stiffened, they stumbled backwards intimidated by the overpowering creatures. They were cornered, the crocs trapped them. Blake and Tyson could already smell and taste the animals’ polluted breath. “This is the end…”The beast rose over the helpless and frightened people, they went in for the kill, and as the tail struck the ambushers got ambushed.

“FIRRREEE!!!!!” A rough combatant yelled; the assailants burst in, the firm sewer capsule ripping due to the strain the insane assassins put on it. They bombarded the creatures, and Doctor Junesday, pouring round after round into the unfortunate beasts, steel tears shredding into their coarse tissues. They fell, a sombre silence falling through the deep sewers. “Capture the renegades!! Oxford chain them up!!” Demanded the leader, this rogue organization was The Frenzy. A chaotic and sinful cluster of delirious freaks. They had been around since the Victorian Era. They were cold-hearted mercenaries; willing to capture or kill for large rewards. “Thank you Eva, you’ve done your job well, wait till you’re father, The Jackal, hears about this!” Said Cross, the Frenzy’s frontrunner.

“Hold your tongue Cross!” Eva scowled.

“Is this true?! Eva you little bitch” Logan roared.

“I’m sorry; my life was on the line” Eva cried.

“Take them away!” Ordered the Frenzy leader, the automatic locks from their chaining devices snapping over the wrists of the enslaved and helpless.

“I can’t believe you Eva! Where are you taking us?! And your dad is the scummy Collective leader?” Scowled Lozada.

“You don’t get to pick your father but believe me I disowned him long ago. He’s a manipulative and demonic coward and I’m the puppet on his souring strings!” Eva cried, she was disappointed in herself.  She had drawn to close to the four and seeing the horrific injuries Lozada had sustained from her father sickened her. “They are taking you to The Jackal; that’s all I know.” Eva depressingly said.

“You’re despicable!” Blake moaned.

“Silence!” The Frenzy leader said; striking Blake and Lozada repeatedly with his staff. They were in a long line and chained up like slaves. Their clothes torn. Their faces, expressionless.

“Let me rest I’m weary.” Logan cried.

 “For god sake shut up!!” The leader said, signalling his pack to send the four to sleep. The pack each chose a member and using a chemical gas, and violence, made them unconscious.