4. Old Memories And Immoral Thoughts

After Thanksgiving, Michael began to come around more often, whether it was with or without Ivy. He kept asking for us to spend even more time together, but recently, he's started to act strange. I can't quite put my finger on how he's acting, because I don't get this different persona. I've met his angry side, his goofy side, and his intimidating side, just not this one, because I can't name it.

It'd been a week since our Thanksgiving weekend, and he began to act different. I even asked Ivy, but she said she'd never seen him act this way; I have a feeling she knows exactly what is going on, and maybe, deep down, I do too.

Thinking about him was quite frustrating.

As I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, my phone went off, but I didn't bother to check it. Sometimes, there are days when I just don't want to move all day long. Today was one of those days. I don't know why, but I was beginning to feel sad, my heart felt as if it was breaking. I felt the way I did when I lived with my mom.

Five Years Ago

"Claire!" I heard my mother scream as she stomped up the stairs. She just got home from the bar and was drunk, like always.

I quickly locked my door and hid in my closet, then I got into a fetal position and closed my eyes. I flinched as she pounded on my door, screaming at me to open it. I couldn't and I wouldn't.

I just wished my brother could come rescue me, but he's busy getting his life on track. The tears were beginning to burn my eyes.

I had never been so scared in my life.

Then, before I could make sense of what was happening, there was a loud bang, the closet door was being yanked open, and I was being pulled out by my hair.
She started to scream at me again as she hit me.

"Why aren't you a good girl like Kiana?"