Mindless Beast

Monroe's pov

Captain Rogers and I parted ways so that I could keep an eye on Loki. I watched him dive as I manipulated my way in the air. I found the delinquent looking over the edge of a cliff, watching the fight between Thor and Tony. I clenched a fist around his drapes and forced him to stand, his nose inches away from mine.

"I don't believe we've properly met," Loki comments with a smirk.

"That was intentional," I remarked, shoving him backward. As he stumbled,  I brought my hand up to my ear to inform Nat of our location through the comms. We both looked up as the jet slowly lowered itself before us. I turned, gripping at the god's arm to lead him to the opening ramp. However, he barely budged. Instead, his eyes lingered just enough to send chills through my body. Definitely not the good kind. Rolling my shoulders, I ignored his hum of satisfaction before forcefully pulling him toward the quinjet. After securing his restraints, I stayed behind to babysit the boys. Just before the ramp closed, I'm slightly pushed back by a massive shockwave causing my eyes to glow from the echoing sound. I caught a certain twinkle in Loki's eyes before the ramp fully shut. I bared my fangs, but I had already been out of sight. 

Time Skip

"It's an impressive cage," Loki comments carelessly. "Not built, I think, for me."

"Built for something a lot stronger than you." Fury adds.

"Oh, I've heard." Loki stares straight into the camera. Some of us were watching the surveillance as Loki tried to get a reaction from Fury. "The mindless beast makes play he's still a man." Natasha lifts her head to make eye contact with Banner. We all knew who he was referring to. "But that's nothing compared to the treacherous hound you hide within these walls. Oversized and savage." I shifted uncomfortably, watching the confused faces of everyone listening to the live stream displayed on the table. "How desperate are you, that you call upon such lost creatures to defend you?"

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Ooh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is." 

'Not that you don't already know' Loki pushed his own thought into my head. My mouth parted as I stumbled back. Nat looked back at me and stared into my glowing eyes. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, but I reassured her I was fine with a nod. I fixed my composure and cleared my throat. The hologram disappears.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" I joke.

"Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?" Cap brings the attention back.

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard nor any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"An army? From outer space?" Rogers questions.

"So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for," I configure.

"Selvig?" Thor asks.

"He's an astrophysicist," Banner informs.

"Loki has him under some kind of spell, along with one of ours," Natasha adds.

"I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats, you could smell crazy on him."

"Have care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard, and he's my brother."

"He killed eighty people in two days." I remind.

"He's adopted..."

"I think it's about the mechanics. Iridium, what did they need the Iridium for?"

"It's a stabilizing agent." Tony interrupts walking in with Coulson. Wrapping up their conversation, he continues, "means the portal won't collapse on itself as it did at S.H.I.E.L.D. No hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a mean swing."

I roll my eyes as he taps Thor's muscular arms. Tony places a small hacking implant onto Fury's monitors, but no one else seemed to notice. I narrow my eyes to try and figure out his play.

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" the captain questions.

"He'd have to heat the cube to a hundred twenty million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier," Banner notifies.

"Unless Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunneling effect." Tony continues.

"Well, if he could do that he could achieve Heavy Ion Fusion at any reactor on the planet."

"Finally, someone who speaks English."

Rogers turns to me, "Is that what just happened?" I shrug and walk over to Tony as he proceeds to comment on Banner's ability to lose control.

"Dr. Banner is only here to track the cube. I was hoping you might join him," Fury walks in on cue.

I had pondered back to what Loki had meant by his earlier shared thought. How could I possibly know any power nearly as close to the tesseract? I turned away from the group and massaged my temples as an eerie sound filled my head. I jumped back to awareness when my name had been called.

"Jess, a word." It was Fury.

Time Skip

"Are you sure you've got this handled? I can send in Romanoff-"

"No." Fury gives me a look at my rushed response. "Sorry. I can handle Loki."

"Let me know when you have something."

I walk toward the detention center in the helicarrier. I can feel the bastard's ego throughout my veins. He hasn't stopped dropping thoughts in my head since we imprisoned him. I won't admit to anyone just how terrifying it is that he knows what I can do. If he gains control of the power I've worked so hard to take complete control of, everyone on this ship could be in danger. I walk in, unable to sneak up on him. Loki's pacing discontinues as he hums to himself and turns to face me.

"Thought you'd figure I'd come."