Chapter Twenty-Four: Hawkeye, The Witness Protection Agent

"Ouch!" Peter whined as MJ plucked out yet another shard of glass from his exposed back

"Ouch!" Peter whined as MJ plucked out yet another shard of glass from his exposed back. "Can't you be a bit more careful?"

"Stop complaining. You've hurt yourself worse than this plenty of times." Mary Jane scolded. Her hands were soaked in blood from Peter's multiple lacerations, and though she loved him dearly, patching him up after every conflict was something that she didn't miss at all. "You're gonna be here for a lot longer if you don't stop squirming."

As if in direct opposition to her warning, Peter jumped at a particularly intense stinging on his right shoulder blade. "Damn it...we don't have time for this. I need to get you somewhere safe."

"You're not going anywhere until I've gotten the rest of this glass out." She replied sternly, but there was a waver in her voice that jabbed Peter directly in the chest. She sounded so heartbroken. Peter almost wished that he hadn't told her about the new Green Goblin.

"Look, about Harry..." Peter started, but he was quickly cut off by Mary Jane's reply.

"I can't believe that he'd do something like that..." Her hands halted in the middle of his back, and he could feel them trembling with the effort not to cry. "I thought he was better than that."

"He's sick, MJ. Not in his right mind." Peter tried to comfort her but he knew that it was hopeless. She had been just as close to Harry as Peter; they had even dated at one point in High School. "Whoever that guy is, it's not Harry. That's why I gotta get you out of here."

Mary Jane sighed. Somehow, even when she wasn't dating Peter, she still seemed to find herself in danger. It was like a lifetime curse or a brand seared deep into her skin - just by knowing Peter, she was in constant peril. "Yeah, you're right. I've gotten most of the glass out anyway...but I'll need to take Eddie with me."

Peter slumped over, an intense frown burrowing into his features. "Why?"

"I know you don't like him, but if Harry comes for me and Eddie's still here he'll be in just as much danger as I am."

"It's not that I don't like him...it's just that-"

"He's dating your ex. I know." Mary Jane interrupted him, and as usual, she was right. Eddie really seemed like a nice guy, and most importantly, he treated Mary Jane like a queen...but it was difficult not to resent him. Peter didn't regret the decision to break up with MJ, but he still cared for her deeply.

As if on cue, or by the power of some cruel narrator, the apartment door swung open. Eddie entered with bags full of groceries and was met with the most perplexing sight of his life - his girlfriend touching the exposed back of her ex.

"Oh, hey Eddie!" MJ said rather chipperly, apparently unaware of how compromising this scene would have looked.

Peter gave the most awkward wave of his life, but Eddie didn't return it. "Peter... What are you doing in my house? No, let me rephrase that. What are you doing shirtless in my house?"