Chapter Thirty-Nine: Hunted

After the police evacuated all the kidnapped people from the Lizard's nest, Peter and Annabelle didn't have much of a trail to follow

After the police evacuated all the kidnapped people from the Lizard's nest, Peter and Annabelle didn't have much of a trail to follow. It vanished entirely. Left no trace. So Peter was back to brainstorming.

It perferred dark, cold environments. It hunted and stockpiled food. The amount of people it had stuck to the walls was extremely high. It would be trying to make up for all that lost food as quickly as it could. What was a dark, cold place filled with potential prey?

The New York Subway.

As much as this seemed to be a groundbreaking revelation, the subway system ran for 230 miles. That was a lot of ground to cover. However, if you triangulate that with ongoing missing persons reports, you start to see a pattern.

Spidey hurried down to the subway platform with Protonslaught right beside him. "Honestly, I don't know what else to do," he said to her quietly.

"Dude, better than my idea."

"What was your idea?"

"Fucking I don't know, call Steve Irwin?"

"I think this one would be a little big, even for him. God rest his soul."

The crowds of people stared and got a little rowdy in the presence of two superheroes kind of just standing around on the platform.

Peter looked to one of the attendants in the ticket booth. They were on the radio looking a little shocked at what they were hearing on the other end.

With a glance at Annabelle, Peter urged, "Come on."

The pair headed over to the ticket booth and, quite strangely, the attendant looked relieved to see them. "O-Oh thank God! I just got a call from the next train...! S-Something about a monster...I-I don't know!"

Protonslaught whistled. "What are the chances?"

"Which way is it coming--"

As if summoned by Peter's question, a train hurtled through the platform like it was travelling a million miles an hour. "Prote, go!!"

Annabelle hesitated for a split second, but ultimately took to the air and throttled toward the tunnel faster than Peter could even comprehend.

Spidey fired a webline and watched as it soared across the platform...and latched onto Annabelle's foot. As she ramped up the speed, Peter was pulled through the air like some kind of Spider-Man-shaped kite.