Little Ms. Goody two shoes -12-

Start from the beginning

I could only watch with wide eyes as she walked over to her desk. She slid some papers over and dram amber glass vials came into view. She grabbed one and began unscrewing the top. "What's that?" I whispered.

She still had that small smile on her lips. "Well these," She gestured to two bottles on their own side. "Are actually prescribed. One for depression the other is for my anxiety." My eyes were going to pop out of my head if I kept doing what I was doing. Sarah Anne depressed? I could not believe that.

"And the other ones?"

She shook the bottle in her hand and the pills clattered around. "I self-medicate sometimes. Makes me feel better than that other shit." I flinched slightly, I had never heard her swear before and it surprised me how easily the word rolled off her tongue. "I have some Oxycontin and a couple things that aren't as strong. I think I'm going to have some of my cough syrup, I want drift." She set down her pill bottle and began shifting more papers.

"Cough syrup? Are you sick?"

She laughed. "Silly, Cameron. No, it makes me more relaxed and very sleepy." She was holding a bottle now. "Do you want some?"

"No!" I said hastily and I watched as she shrugged. I turned away from her, I didn't want to hear or see her doing this. I was pretty sure most of what she had in here was illegal, and that scared me a little honestly. If my mother found out...

I pushed that thought out of my head and watched Sarah Anne come back over to her bed. She kicked off her flats and stretched out, her back to the headboard. I was still at the foot of her bed. I still couldn't get over how she looked. She was dressed in normal blue jeans and a T-shirt. It was actually the green T-shirt from church camp last summer. Then there was her hair. She noticed me looking at her and she smiled at me, her eyes hooded. "Shocked?" She said with a laugh. "Little Ms. Goody Two Shoes isn't all that good."

I looked down at my lap and then back at her. "I just....I never would have expected you to be like..." I gestured to her room then to her. "...This."

Her smile faded a little. "Well, it's an act. Everyone wears a mask and all anyone sees is what's on the outside. No one knows what's under it until they peel it back." She stroked her wig with one hand as she spoke in a soft tone. "My parents made me get this wig maybe three weeks ago. It's the same color as my natural hair and this is about the same length it was. I dyed my hair while they were out of town one weekend and I chopped it up so bad..." She laughed. "It made me feel so good. It still makes me feel good to know I've got this over them. Once my hair grows out again, I'll have to fix the color but I don't even care. The look on their faces was perfect..."

"Wow," I breathed. "So...do they know about everything else?"

She shrugged. "My parents don't mind as long as I don't embarrass them. They know I used to smoke those lovely Newports sitting on my desk every now and then, they also know sometimes I get trashed with my friends. What they don't know, is that my best friends call me Mia because I hate 'Sarah Anne', that I love poetry , and that sometimes when I can't sleep I just draw for hours. They've given up trying to control me. Well not control. More, understand me." She shrugged again.

I wasn't sure how to take all of that in. "I'm sorry," I breathed before adding, "why would you tell me this? We don't know each other all that well."

She blew her choppy bangs out of her face. "Well, I just feel like you would understand, in a way." I choked on my shock.

"W-what? How could I ever understand? I-I don't even mean that in a rude way, I feel like we're just very different." Too different to ever possibly relate, I added in my head. She scoffed.