Indiscretions of a sinner -10-

Chapter dix -Indiscretions of a sinner-

Song: Sunday...

[Dis might make some of you mildly-moderately uncomfortable. Sorry if this is rlly long...]

Dedication is for Misa for helping me with this chapter. Misa, if you're reading this, stay Otaku.

Waking up on Sunday was always a sobering feeling. I woke up because the light shifting through the blinds was too bright. I peeled the blanket back and got out of bed. I sauntered into the bathroom and splashed some water on my face. After rubbing my eyes, I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked tired. I had bags under my eyes and my eyes were bloodshot. I didn't get a lot of sleep generally because I spent a lot of my time at studying late into the night. The added stress of Sebastian wasn't making my sleep schedule any better.

I took another look in the mirror and suddenly I was a child again, getting ready for church early in the morning.

"Cameron," I felt someone shaking me. "Get up, it's Sunday..." I cracked my eyelids open and my eyes were blinded by light. She had opened the blinds. I sat up in bed and saw my mother leaning over me. At six years old, she was like a giant to me.

Her hair fell in loose ringlets onto her shoulders and she was bathed in the morning light, which was fitting in a way, because she looked like some holy, otherworldly spirit. "Mommy, you're beautiful." She smiled faintly and helped me get out of bed. We lived in a small apartment and we had to share a bed, the bed was not exactly fit for a six year old. I had to be helped in and out of bed because it was too far for me to climb or come down from without hurting myself.

As I got out of the bed, I saw our Church clothes laid out over the foot of the bed. The blue dress my mother always wore on Sunday was there along with my suit. My mother lead me to the bathroom where we brushed our teeth and she did her hair into bun. Then I brushed my hair until she deemed it acceptable. Once we were done she instructed me to go get dressed while she took a shower.

I left the bathroom and went back into the bedroom. I looked at the suit in disdain. I didn't like it. It was a little too small and really itchy. It didn't help that it was hot outside, either. So instead of complying to what she asked me to do, I sat in my pajamas on the floor until she came out.

She tossed her shower cap on the dresser and frowned at me. "What are you doing? I told you to get dressed." She tugged the towel around herself tighter and glanced at the clock on the night stand. "Come on, Cam, you have to get dressed."

"No. I don't want to." I crossed my arms and stared up at her. Deciding to not get dressed had seemed like a good idea until she was standing in front of me.

She pinched the bridge of her nose irritably and narrowed her eyebrows. "We don't have time for this, get up." I only shook my head again.

She looked really mad now. But I didn't let up. I didn't feel like going to the stuffy church in an itchy suit that was going to make me all sweaty. She didn't care for my attitude. She grabbed me by my arm to stand me up and I jerked away. I tried to run away, but she grabbed my arm once again and I thrashed around. I didn't even see it coming, but in one swift movement she smacked me, sharp across the cheek.

I was too stunned to even cry. This was the first time she had ever hit me.

I froze and let her guide me into putting the suit on. All the while I could feel the blood rushing to my cheek. After I was dressed, she put on her dress and shoes then we left. I was quiet for the rest of the day. I didn't act up in church, I was silent and respectful. When one of the other kids asked why my face was swelling up one side, I just shrugged.