xii. Eternal Bliss

Song: PERFECT; ed sheeran

     SONYA smiled at me as she finished weaving my hair into an intricate braid. Her hand cupped my chin, lifting it to get a better look at me, "Never thought I'd see the day."

I chuckled, looking at myself in the dusty mirror that had been placed in my shack. It was the first time I had ever really seen myself, Sonya had scrubbed me up nicely.

"Thanks, Liz." I met her gaze, my best friend barely holding back tears. Newt and I were the only ones who called her that, it was a sort of ritual, seeing as we would soon be sisters.

Thankfully, she helped me into a simple, yet elegant dress that she had expertly made, the colour still white, despite all the sand and dust around, before finishing the look off with Newt's letter, still in its small capsule.

A soft knock came from the door and we turned to see Vince leaning against the frame, beaming with pride at us. He walked over to us, before engulfing me in a hug, "Your mother would be so proud of she could see you right now, kid."

We pulled away, him offering me his arm as Sonya passed me a small bouquet of flowers, tied neatly with some string, "You ready, Or?"

I smiled at her, "I've never been more ready for anything."

*

Time seemed to stop as my eyes met Newt at opposite ends of the aisle, the dusky sky bathing it in pale pinks and blues, torches roaring in their brackets.

His blond hair fell slightly over his face, his jaw slightly open as I passed up the aisle. Jorge stood directly in front of me, while my fiance and Tommy, who inevitably ended up as best man, were beside him.

Vince slightly squeezed my hand as I passed the row of former subjects at the front. Both Newt and I had insisted that seats be left empty for all of those who were no longer here, but each filled in spirit by their owner. Another seat on the front row was beside Lucy, my favourite book laid on the wood, gifted by my mother.

I met my sister's gaze, her lips breaking into a tearful smile as I stood opposite Newt, our hands lacing together, Vince, Sonya and Tommy watching proudly.

"Welcome, everyone." Jorge greeted, "Newt and Orla have chosen you, those special and important to them, to witness and celebrate the beginning of their life together. Today, as they join in marriage, they also create a new bond and new sense of family - one that will undoubtedly include all who are present here today."

Almost reflexively, Newt gently traced the scars on my arm, his smile matched only by mine. Jorge's voice is the only thing that pulls my attention from him, "I believe you have prepared your own vows?"

Newt nods and begins, "When I first escaped the Maze, I was broken, in every sense of the word. And then I met you, I saw you from across the canteen at the compound, it was probably your hair."

Several laughs rippled through the crowd, Sonya looking between us and smiling.

"But you saved us, and you did it again and again and again. And along the way, I fell in love with you. With your fierce protectiveness and determination, that was something I hadn't had in as long as I could remember. You complete me, Orla. And I couldn't imagine life without you. I swear to protect you and love you until the end of my days."

Chuckling, I wiped away some tears, before clearing my throat, "How am I supposed to follow that?"

I glanced at Esther, who sat on the other side of Lucy, both sending me quick nods. "Newt, I might not be able to top that with words," I move his hand to my stomach, "but I know that together, we can make sure our little girl or boy is going to be safe and happy."