⋙ Chapter Three

Depuis le début

The class had congregated in the centre of the room, with the tables pushed against the walls. Mr Lester was leaning against the teacher’s desk, tapping a nonsensical beat against the table. Me and Aflie joined the group, waiting patiently for the lesson to begin.

He stood up straighter and cleared his throat. The low murmer of chatter was diminished. “As you may know, I’m new here, and know none of you. What I do know is powergy. I’ve studied it my whole life - as most of you will have - and know most of it like the back of my hand. This year we shall be learning all kinds of spells - legal spells - the history of elementalists and also…” He stopped speaking, frowning. “Okay, I can’t remember the third thing. Anyway, I’ve read up on your last results, and I have to say, I’m impressed by a few of you.” I smiled secretly, remembering that I got the highest score in the class along with one other person. “However, I want to see your powers for myself. In order to have a better idea of your abilities and who each of you are, I’m going to pair you alphabetically.” The whole glass groaned. Why couldn’t teachers understand that that was the worst option possible? “We’ll focus on defensive spells this week, seeing as society can be dangerous for elementals now. Simple attacks spell will be all that is necessary. Right...”

He picked up a sheet of paper besides him and began calling out names, ticking the names off as he went. Alfie disappeared with a wan smile once his name was called out. I sat down on a desk, a little further away from the group, knowing I had to wait a long time. I began swinging my legs as the nerves started to build. I didn’t know who I’d be with in the class. No one seemed that bad, but I couldn’t really see, because everyone was else was standing. Perhaps, if I was lucky, I’d be with someone nice and we’d make fast friends.

“Troye Mellet and Tyler Oakley.”

I had been too naive to think I’d be with a nice person.

“What?” We both asked in union.

Mr Lester glanced up with a start, but swiftly continued reading from his list. I saw Tyler for the first time that day, who had been hidden within the tall crowd. We glared at one another whilst the rest of the class was paired up. At least he seemed as annoyed about the situation as I did.

When people started to disperse, Tyler sashayed over to Mr Lester’s desk. I heaved myself off the desk and followed him over.

“Mr Lester - hi. I’m Tyler. He’s Troye. We can’t go together.”

“Oh… Why not? You both got the highest marks last term. I’d of thought you’d want to be with someone who was at the same level.”

We glanced at one another. He appeared to be dumbfounded at the thought that of me doing as well as him. I was astounded he’d done as well as me. He also looked annoyed at how thick the teacher was. I agreed with him for the latter. As our eyes gradually pulled away, I spoke up for us. “He’s a Fire, I’m a Water, we’ve never got on. We’re polar opposites. We shouldn’t be going with a power we contradict. That never happens.”

Mr Lester scanned the list, and shook his head slowly. “You’re the only Fire and Water in the class. No matter who you go with, you’ll be the opposite to them. And if opposites don’t work well together, you two won’t work better with anyone else.”

“Not true. I worked well with Dan last year,” Tyler pointed at Dan, who up until now I hadn’t noticed. He was standing behind the desk, a little away from the teacher, starring bewilderedly at Tyler.

“Tyler, you almost burnt my eyebrows off.”

“That was one time. How many times do I have to say it? It was an accident.”