Never again! He thought to himself.

The silence of the cell and Sabo's steadied breathing was lulling out Ace's narcoleptic side, the warmth of his brother compelling him; and before he even knew what was happening, his eyes fell shut and he was consumed in a light and dreamless sleep.

***

Cold.

Cold and... Warm? Wait.

Luffy opened his eyes ever so slightly, instantly closing them as the dim light blinded his pitch black accustomed eyes. When he finally felt ready to try opening them again, he had to force them to apart. After managing to pry open a small slit he focused on something directly in front of him, blocking his view of the rest of the tiny room.

He blinked sluggishly before realizing it was his hat, which had evidently fallen off of his head in his sleep. Staying in his curled up position on the floor, Luffy reached a shaky hand out to the hat and grabbed the brim, pulling it close to his chest.

He was still slightly confused upon waking, and also wondering why he felt so hot and yet so cold at the same time.

In an attempt to gain some memory or recognition to where he was, he moved his ankle to try and stand up. He heard the familiar jangling of metal against metal and remembered instantly why he was here. Though that didn't make him think or move any faster.

He noticed that there were three trays on the ground, all with the same contents, and yet he was not the least bit inclined to act upon the food in front of him. He didn't feel hungry. In fact, that was probably the last thing he wanted right now. He felt ill, and hot, and definitely didn't feel like moving from his curled position in the corner of the room.

The walls seemed to be closing in on him more than usual and he was uncomfortably aware of his uneven, ragged breaths and persistent heart beat.

Everything had started blurring together and he had a hard time figuring out when things were happening. Even as he was doing things, he sometimes wondered if he was simply remembering it from long ago or if he really was doing it right then and there. It was rather terrifying and it threatened to raise his stress levels even higher than they already were each and every time he realised it.

It really was torture.

Luffy curled up tighter and hugged his hat closer. He thought about the guard coming, and then leaving. He clearly wasn't wanted, and was positive that the world hated him. Why else would he be here? And why did he kept trying to get recognition when he knew he'd simply be turned down? He really was a devil child; someone in the way. Annoying and a useless crybaby just like Ace had said. This brothers probably didn't even want him back anymore. They'd probably already escaped without him and continued their lives.

Something about that last thought gave a small tinge of joy in the young boys head. He liked the thought of his brothers being safe and away from this mess.

"To bad you're still stuck here," his own weary voice came, speaking the thoughts aloud since no one could hear anyway.

Luffy sighed and stared at a spot on the wall. There was nothing there.. Nothing there.. Nothing there.

Luffy kept staring at it, hoping that these words would hold true. He felt like he was being watched, or hunted by something much larger than himself. If he held still for long enough the feeling would often go away, much like hiding and watching as your pursuer walked right by. He made himself small and unnoticeable to the invisible thing.