...1...

Shelby's P.O.V

"SHELBY!!" Scott shouted.

I was snapped out of my dream. "What?" I asked, glancing at everyone who stared at me back. "Are... what..?"

"Who's that girl?" Scott pointed at Mika.

"Won't she... of course she wouldn't tell you. She's an old... acquaintance."

"Indeed I am!" Mika smiled. "I'm Mika. My boyfriend dated her once. We were pretty good friends."

I glared at her. "Sure we were..."

No-one seemed to notice the bitterness in my voice. "So you need our help?" Lizzie asked.

"Yeah... if you wouldn't mind..." Mika replied.

"How'd you find us out here? No-one but those with magic can see this place..."

"They must have magic, duh," Callum shrugged.

"Magic?" Elise cocked her head. "I'm cool and all, and my Grandma pants are too, but I don't think I have magic."

"Obviously you do."

They continued to talk, but I paid no attention, staring at the ground and fidgeting with the strings on the hoodie I was wearing. Mika hurt me. And now she was here, asking for help? I cared about Ethan, and had she not convinced his parents I was mean and manipulative, we probably still would've been on speaking terms. Mika destroyed our friendship. I felt anger bubbling up in my chest, but a sudden fear took over. If I got too angry, would my bad soul return? "E-excuse me," I stuttered before ducking out of the room.

I sunk down onto the floor in the hallway upstairs, sure no-one could hear me. I pulled my knees up to my chest, burying my head into my shoulder. I felt the tears trickling down my face. I was scared. Vulnerable.

I heard footsteps, and someone sitting next to me. And then I felt an arm around my shoulders. I looked up to see Cory, a concerned expression on his face. "What's going on?" he asked gently.

"She's gonna come back for me!" I whimpered.

"She won't, as long as we work through your problems as a team. Why is she coming back? What's upsetting you?"

"I'm angry, and I'm scared. Mika and I have a past. And not a good one."

"Tell me. Get it off your chest."

"You sure?"

"Just go ahead."

"Okay. Please make sure I don't lose it. But... I'll tell you."

Flashback (Shelby's P.O.V) (also this is all being told to Cory)

Mika smirked at me as Ethan and I passed her in the Cafeteria. I snuck her a confused look. We never really talked often, other than the occasional hello. And she was always so kind. However, the look in her eyes... didn't look very friendly. I shook it off, moving my gaze to in front of me.

Ethan was using the restrooms when Mika came and sat at the table. I smiled at her. "Hi..?" I greeted.

"Look, I'm not here to play all friendly with you. Ethan is MINE, even if he's your boyfriend. Now. I will do whatever it takes to get the boy I want, and you'll either play along or stay out of my way, got it?" Mika hissed.

I arched an eyebrow. "Why so sudden? Why now? We've been dating for at least a month."

"Because I felt generous enough to give you that time."

"Didn't know you were capable of being this mean."

"Shut up. You gonna break up with him?"

"Heck no! I love him!"

Mika sighed. "Fine. You asked for it. I'm going to get Ethan. And I hope that you go through pain when I do."

A couple weeks later, Ethan came to school, his face wet with tears. "I'm moving!" he exclaimed.

I looked up from my phone, shocked. "What?!" I cried, flinging my arms around him. "No! You can't! Ethan, please..."

"M-my parents... you know they always felt unsure about our relationship, Shelby. Apparently, you're a manipulator."

"I-I'm not... I..."

"You're one of the kindest souls I've ever met. I don't believe them for a second."

"When do you move..?"

"I'm going home early today to pack... we're staying with my Grandparents until my parents find a house."

"Oh Ethan..."

"Which is why we've gotta make the most of today."

Ethan and I were with each other for every moment possible that day. And... and our separation was something I'd prefer not to think about.

Mika approached me the next day. "You're in pain, aren't ya?" she said.

"Y-you..." I growled. "He's upset too, because of YOU!"

"He'll forget about you eventually."

"And what are you getting from this, he's moving away!"

"I don't live in town, you know that. My Dad lives out near his Grandparents, I'll still see Ethan! But you... you won't."

"I... I can't believe you! I hate you!"

"I know you do. But I got what I wanted. Bug me again and you'll suffer even more."

And she walked away.

Flashback end

"Ethan and I didn't speak again..." I added. "That is, until he showed me to the EAPE."

"Why didn't you bring him back?" Cory asked.

"Because... because I didn't see him after that. I was so stressed, and sad, I only had a few people in my mind."

"You do wanna help Ethan, right?"

"Of course! But not for Mika."

"Exactly. Just think about that. We'll get Ethan back. But it'll be for you."

I smiled. "Thanks Cory. You're a great friend."

"Heh, I know."

Cory and I walked back downstairs. Everyone was chilling; some in the lounge, some in the kitchen, some probably outside. But as we walked into the kitchen first, Oli looked over at me, as did Elise. "You okay?" Oli asked.

I sniffled. "Yeah... I'm good. Just a bit emotional is all."

"Oh boy, I can relate!" Elise said. "I cry all the time."

"Dude, you need help?"

"Nah, I'm good. I just have crippling anxiety."

There was an awkward silence before I exclaimed, "Bro same!"

Elise jumped out of her chair and we high-fived. "We can suffer together!" she cheered.

"Yaayyy!!" I grinned. "We're both dying from the inside!"

"Whoop whoop!"

Sure, I didn't like Mika.

But Elise definitely seemed like a great person.