I opened the door and walked in, not surprisingly I laid eyes on Ms. Midoriya the second I entered, "G-Good afternoon." I said and bowed awkwardly. It's weird now with her, I feel like I should show her all the respect I can but she's still the same woman who burnt her hand making eggs three months ago.

"Hi Katsuki," Ms. Midoriya replied quietly, she rarely spoke these days. I can't imagine what she must be thinking, she gets one son and he gets a death sentence. Nobody will tell me what happened to her husband either, I never see photos of him and even Deku won't tell me. Must suck.

I sat down on the other side of the bed, she needed some room and I didn't want to crowd her. Plus this side is closer to the window, after joining the Hero Course I think I always try and sit near an exit in case of emergencies. I looked down at Deku and then at his mom, "Do you mind if I talk to him?" I didn't want to be that guy who just ignored the other person in the room.

Ms. Midoriya shook her head, it was then I noticed her signature bun was missing. Did she forget or does she just not have the energy to do it? Weird, "The doctor says speaking to him might help so I actually insist that you do."

"Right," I looked away from her and down at Deku. He looked like the usual Deku, just asleep and with a tube down his throat to control his breathing. Less than usual Deku but he doesn't look injured as he did after the sludge villain.

"Well, Deku, fuck where to start..." I haven't visited him since right before he transferred so it's been a while, "Okay well training has really gotten hard." That doesn't sound right, "We train almost every single day it seems, our quirks and bodies and minds. At first, I thought it was regular Hero Course work but earlier today UA announced that they were going to hold the Sports Festival despite the security issue." Can he even hear me?

Not to be gay but I put my hand over his and squeezed it lightly, "If you wake up now maybe you'll recover enough to attend. You could be there to see me win, man."

In a second there was a shit ton of action. Deku's eyes opened but they were bloodshot, he was panicking and thrashing a little. I saw him reach for his tube and grabbed his other hand, "H-Hey Deku hey calm down!" I read once that if you rip your own tube out you can get shitty infections and also hurt yourself.

I kept holding his hand while his mom began pressing the call button over and over. I saw a tear in the corner of Deku's eye and if I wasn't restraining him I'd brush it away, "You're just in a hospital. Relax for a second, okay? You damn nerd."

It felt like an eternity but soon enough a doctor and two nurses arrived, they took the tube out of his throat and checked some vitals before handing him a glass of water and taking his mom into the hallway to talk. I stayed next to him as he drank slowly, "So...did you hear me talking or do I have to repeat myself?"

Deku stared into his cup as he drank before he lowered it, "I...I didn't hear anything this time. I thought I was dead-I thought you were dead." He looked over and then burst into tears like he always does, "I-I really thought you were d-dead and I couldn't he-hear Kacchan!"

"You fucking..." I got up and hugged him. I hate hugs, they're gross and invasive, but if Deku's crying I can deal, "You're a real pain in the ass you know?"

"I know," Deku mumbled. We stayed like that for a little longer than was necessary and then I let go of him but stayed seated on the side of the bed. He was still crying but like the way you cry when you can't stop the tears and just let them flow.

Well if he didn't hear me I should tell him the news, right? He'll be excited for sure, "So what I was telling you was that UA is going to hold their Sports Festival in two weeks and I said if you woke up you might be allowed to attend. Then you woke up."

Deku's eyes lit up and not just because they were glossy with tears, "The Sports Festival?!" He laughed a little and I was glad to see his mood change, "I can finally get notes on everybody's quirk! Oh, and you'll win for sure Kacchan I know it!"

"You can bet your ass I will!" We both laughed before I remembered the thing I'd brought with me, "Oh while you were out I went into your room." Deku turned a light shade of pink but I ignored it, saying that I'd invaded his space was a little weird but I'd been in there dozens of times. I reached over to the seat I had been in before he woke up and picked up the bear, "I had no idea you kept this damn thing."

Deku looked at the bear and his mouth formed a shaky smile, "I-I well...it was important to me. You see it..." He shifted for a moment before getting his nerves back, "It was th-the first gift you ever gave me so I...I cherished it."

"O-Oh," I looked down at the bear and then handed it to him, "Well here I hope you always cherish this dumb thing." Deku took the bear carefully and fiddled with one of its ears, "I want it to be a good luck charm. I've given it to you twice now and both times were after one of your episodes so the bear is going to be a charm to keep you out of the hospital, okay?"

"Okay," Deku kissed the top of the bear's head and for some reason that made my face burn, what the fuck? Stupid stupid fucking emotion I can't name, fuck right the fuck off, "I named him Ka-Bear. It's like kaboom but bear because your quirk is-"

"-Yeah I get it," I looked at Ka-Bear and then Deku. He looked happy but I know he's still worried. The doctor is still talking to his mom so it must be serious, plus his throat has got to burn still. I looked back at the bear, "I'm glad you woke up."

Deku didn't reply to that and the air around us became awkward quick, "Hey Kacchan?" He didn't look up from the bear as he spoke and he sounded a lot different from the usual Deku, "Can you...um, can you stay here tonight? I'm scared if I go to sleep I won't wake up so please...don't leave me here."

He must have been rattled by the coma, he said it was different from usual so I can see why he's so scared. I don't know what will change with me staying with him tonight vs me going home but if it calms him down and gets him to stop thinking about dying then I can handle it. I checked the time on my phone and nodded, "Sure, sure. Let me run to my house and get some clothes though."

"Okay, but can you be fast?" Deku held the bear with extremely gentle fingers but his gaze didn't move once, if he could he would have put a hole straight through Ka-Bear.

"I'm going to win the Sports Festival of course I can be fast," Deku giggled a little and I was glad I got that out of him. I'm sure he'll be shaken up for a little while longer but even just a second of him forgetting about his situation was a second I was proud of.

"Yeah, hurry back champ." I turned away from him when I felt the heat on my face again, seriously what the fuck?! I'd ask my mom about it but she'd tease me...maybe my dad? He's different from mom and he understands emotions and shit a lot better. Alright, I'll sleep here tonight and talk with dad tomorrow!

I grabbed my school bag and left Deku's room if I wasn't in a hurry to make Deku feel better I would eavesdrop on the conversation Ms. Midoriya was having but I don't want to waste any time right now. Deku needs me to be back quickly, he freaks out easy so I should just get there and get back.