"But I'm not!" meowed Echopaw, shocked.

"I know, but I'd go get new moss and some fresh-kill before your mother has a chance to do it, so Fogtail and Ferrettail know you're not avoiding the punishment."

"Okay, I will. I promise. Tell them I'll be back with the softest moss and the freshest, juiciest pieces of fresh-kill there are in the fresh-kill pile!"

"Alright, thanks, Echopaw."

Echopaw nodded and, as Spruceclaw turned and headed back toward the elders' den, muttered to Whisperpaw, "mouse-dung! I've been such a stupid furball! How could I have forgotten!"

"Come on, we'll go get the moss together. You're being too hard on yourself. It's only been, what, two sunrises? It's not that bad," Whisperpaw meowed, trying to comfort her.

"Alright, thanks," Echopaw meowed, thankful for her sister's company.

"First we have to get a warrior to accompany us because we're not allowed out of camp unless we have a warrior with us," Whisperpaw reminded her.

"Oh, right," sighed Echopaw, "Who do you think would go with us?"

"Um..." Whisperpaw scanned the camp. Twilightfoot, Gravelpelt, Moonshine, Bronzepelt, and Sunfur were still talking in their group; Aspenleaf was walking with Creekfall, Sparktail, and Prairiefoot to the fresh-kill pile; Twigfoot and Eveningstar were lounging by the Highstone, sharing a rabbit; Copperleaf, Sparrowtail, and Rustypelt were padding over to the leader and deputy, who nodded to them, then the four headed out of camp; they were probably the evening patrol.

"How about we ask Sparktail?" suggested Echopaw. "We haven't spent much time with her in a while. I'm sure she'd be glad to take a walk outside of the camp with us."

"Good idea," nodded Whisperpaw approvingly.

Together, the two of them padded over toward Sparktail, who was sitting with Creekfall, Aspenleaf, and Prairiefoot. Their mother looked up when she heard her two kits approaching and asked, "Need something?"

Echopaw spoke up for both of them. "Yes. We were going to go collect moss for the elders by the stream, but we need a warrior to come with us, and we were wondering if you'd like to."

Sparktail's eyes brightened and she purred, "Of course! Let's go now!" She took the last bite of her mouse then got to her paws and turned to Creekfall, Aspenleaf, and Prairiefoot. "If any cat asks where we are, tell them we're at the stream."

"Alright." Aspenleaf dipped her head as Sparktail lead the way out of the camp with Whisperpaw following. Echopaw dipped her head to the warriors and ran after her mother and sister and out of camp.

She walked side by side with Sparktail and Whisperpaw as they headed for the stream. The trees above them swayed in the gentle breeze, a few leaves blowing off and landing on the ground. The three walked through the forest, the yellow, orange, and red leaves crunching beneath their paws.

Sparktail sighed, "You are growing up so fast. I remember when you were born; you were so tiny, and I never imagined you'd be apprentices. I mean, I knew it would happen one day, but I didn't imagine it would go by so fast."

Whisperpaw looked surprised, "It went by so slow for me! I wanted to be an apprentice the first time I set paw out of the nursery."

Sparktail purred with amusement, "I remember when you did first explore out of the nursery. You walked outside and ran around in circles, squealing with excitement and saying, 'Great StarClan! Our camp is huge!' Then you stumbled out, Echopaw, and followed your sister and ran into Eveningstar. You both fell over in surprise and Eveningstar laughed. 'So it looks like you found your way out of the nursery,' he had said. You two just stared at him then turned tail and ran back to the nursery, where you found Eaglefeather and Sparrowtail, Eaglekit and Sparrowkit then. They were made apprentices two sunrises after that. Anyway, you started bragging to them about how you'd met Eveningstar, and became mad when they weren't impressed."