"Moonshine said it was because he only joined the elders a few moons before we were born," Whisperkit observed.

"Yeah, he hasn't picked up 'Elder's Disease' yet," Echokit purred with amusement.

"I hope you're showing respect for your Clanmates, all of them," meowed a voice sternly behind them. Both kits turned around and found themselves looking at their father, Rustypelt.

"We are," Whisperkit squeaked.

"Huh." Rustypelt looked unconvinced. "Now finish your meal. Then I want you to go back to the nursery where you won't cause any trouble," he scolded, "I won't have any cat, especially not my kits, disrespecting their Clanmates."

"Okay," murmured Echokit, avoiding her father's eyes.

Echokit and Whisperkit finished their sparrow in silence then got up and padded over to the nursery.

When they got there, they weren't surprised to see Yellowkit boasting loudly to Eaglepaw and Sparrowpaw that she was going to be the next medicine cat.

Echokit walked into the nursery and saw Cloverkit and Hailkit, looking relieved to see Echokit and Whisperkit coming back. "Thank StarClan!" meowed Hailkit, "We thought you'd never come back and that we would have to listen to Yellowkit telling us again that she was Goldheart's apprentice." He sighed with exasperation.

"Yes, we'll she's probably told the entire camp by now so she'll soon get over it." Cloverkit meowed.

"Let's hope so," muttered Hailkit. Then his ears perked up and he sniffed the air. "Seems like Eveningstar is awake, and he's talking to Twigfoot."

Echokit sniffed the air, and sure enough, she could smell Eveningstar and Twigfoot. "Wow, Hailkit!" she exclaimed, "you have a sharp sense of smell! I didn't even notice until you pointed it out! You'll be the best tracker DawnClan has seen for many seasons!"

Hailkit puffed out his chest, and then replied, "It's nothing, really."

They looked outside to see Eveningstar and Twigfoot in deep conversation. Then Twigfoot nodded to Eveningstar and joined Copperleaf and Twilightfoot, both senior warriors. The two warriors nodded to their deputy then sent their apprentices, Eaglepaw and Sparrowpaw, away to the apprentices' den looking confused but excited.

"What do you think they're doing?" asked Cloverkit.

"Well, Twilightfoot is Eaglepaw's mentor, and Copperleaf is Sparrowpaw's mentor; so maybe Twigfoot want to make them warriors!" whispered Hailkit, with a hint of jealousy in his voice.

"No, not yet," meowed Whisperkit, "Remember? Apprentices have to pass an assessment before they can be made warriors, and we would have known if Eaglepaw and Sparrowpaw had passed their assessments. It would've been around the whole camp by sunhigh, they would have made sure of it."

Echokit nodded and watched the warriors once more and saw that Copperleaf and Twilightfoot had left Twigfoot and were heading back toward their apprentices. Eaglepaw had a look of determination spread all over his face and Sparrowpaw looked scared but sure of herself.

"Yep, they're definitely having their assessments today," Echokit agreed enviously.

"Lucky furballs!" muttered Hailkit, "And we're not even apprentices yet! We have to wait three more moons!"

"It'll go by faster than you think," Whisperkit meowed, trying to cheer them up.

"Yeah, I don't know about that," Cloverkit sighed.

There was a silence.

"Look, the sunrise! I've never seen one before," meowed Echokit, gazing at the lightening sky. It was turning a shade of orange, and it looked a bit like Yellowkit's pelt. She looked around to see that not many other cats were enjoying the sunrise. They must have seen a lot of sunrises in their lifetime, especially when they go on dawn patrols, she thought. Lucky furballs.