8

Her little legs worked as hard as they could as she ran away from the beast. Screams leaving her lips as her eyes widened in terror. But alas, the beast was much quicker and stronger than her. Her shirt snagged in its sharp teeth, pulling her back into its furry chest.

Her hands gripped its fur she looked up at the beast, only to gasp as its mouth opened, exposing the white razors sticking from its black gums. "Noooo!" Her screams we're useless as the beast began to lick at her, tickling her cheeks pink and rosy.

"You better stop all that damn screamin'!" I cross my arms as I watch them play. Olivia of course pays me no mind as they continue to wrestle and play in the dirt like wild animals.

I sigh deeply before lifting myself out the rocking chair with a groan. My hand rested on my lower back as I grimace, "Damn back.. To hell wit ya." I curse under my breath before making my way towards them.

Their playing pauses as they look at me, Olivia smiling and out of breath as her arms stayed wrapped around the coyote's neck. It's once dark grey coat was now brown and Olivia's dress was just the same. "Your mom's gone beat your ass for gettin dirty." I hold back a smile as she gasps and quickly gets back up, brushing off her dress frantically. The dirt was persist and and did nothing but smear and stick.

Her eyes widen as she began to try to scrub away the stains with her palm, "Iont want a beatin'!" She whines as her shoulders drop helplessly. Tears began to well in her eyes as she looked up at me. I sigh and rest a hand on her head, "Ain't nothing wrong wit you. I was playin." Her eyes dry up before she smiles again, "I can play?" She looks to the coyote who watched her with the same excited look in its eyes.

"Go on.. you can play but don't be all wild. Gone get hurt." I scold gently and she nods her head, "C'mon, James! Let's get the goats!" She rushes to the big dog and they run off like fools full of liquor.

"Don't you hurt them damn goats!" I yell after them but they were already halfway to the barn. Barking and giggling loudly. I shake my head and chuckle, "Like her mama."  I make my way to the house but pause as the sound of tires against gravel catch my attention.

A black truck slowly pulled up. It's tinted windows reflecting my face off of it as I slowly approached it. I tap the glass, "Wrong house!" I yell and frown as the window rolls down to reveal a man with a crisp suit. "Excuse me. I'm here for the.. dog." He gives a fake smile.

I look into the truck and see four other men, thier faces stoic and eyes covered with black glasses. I sigh softly, "The dog is mine and ain't goin' nowhere. Now why don't y'all get off my property." I step back and shoo at them but they remain seated.

"I suppose I got off on the wrong foot.. I'm Dr. Cleveland and I have the DNA results of the dog." He holds a fonder our the window and I grab it before looking at him, "Hmph." I send him a small glare before opening the file.

Dog breed: Unknown.
Species: Unknown.

I frown deeply and look at the man, "You mean to tell me that dog ain't a got damn Dog?!"  My voice raises as I hand back the file, "Dont make no sense!" I cross my arms and the man angrily glares at me, "No it isn't a dog! Is a dangerous unknown animal a-" I cut him off with a hand in his face, "Now I suggest you get off my property and don't come back or it's gone be a problem." I narrow my eyes and listen to the muffled voices of the men in the back.

"Fine." The man sends me a nasty glare before his face drops back to blank. He begins to roll up his window before he pauses, "I suggest you be ready to give up that dog.. Would be a shame if something were to happen to you or that family.." his eyes lock on the house before looking back at me, "Wouldn't want anyone getting hurt.. By the dog of course." His window rolls up before the car takes off down the driveway.

I wait until it completely disappears before running into the house, slamming the door open, "We gotta leave! Now!" Janelle peeks her head around the corner, confusion on her face, "What's goin on?!" I shake my head as I walk deeper into the house, picking up a container to fill with necessities, "Strange men showed up and threatened to hurt y'all if I don't give up the dog.." Her eyes widen as her hand flies to her chest, "W-Why do they want the dog so much?" I could only shrug, "I don't know.. I really don't know..." I grab my gun from it's case, loading it slowly.

A loud scream pierced the air, making us both freeze. I cock my gun and run out outside. "Olivia!" I look around frantically for the girl, "Come on!" I race towards the barn to see her wrestling with the goats. I scoop her up and look around for the dog, "W-Where's the dog?!" Her eyes widen as she points to the dog half buried in the hay. I click my tongue, "Let's go." It doesn't hesitate to follow us out back into the house.

Janelle stood by the door with their bags packed and her car keys in hand. I inwardly sigh in relief, "You both return the rental and go to the airport." I reach into my wallet and pull out my card, "Use thi-" Janelle pushes it back, "I'll be fine. You need it and to finish packing." My chest fills with pride as I smile at her, "Give me hugs before y'all go." I pull them close in a tight hug, making Olivia giggle.

"Say bye." Janelle scoops the girl up and sets her on her hips. Olivia waves her little hand, "Bye Bye." I grab t and kiss the palm gently, "I love you." She blushes and giggles, "I love you."