iv. A TOGETHER COUPLE

chapter four,

a together couple.

┠━━━━━━━━━━┦

[unedited] 4.

before the last bell rang, i tried to get a hold of clay. i called his phone, ("hi! it's clay, and if you're hearing this, i'm probably too lazy to answer your call or i'm doing nothing. leave a message if you think you're worthy enough!") texted him, (hello? clay? are you okay? do you wanna talk?) and even walked to his locker. he was no where to be found.

i pressed my back against his locker, sighing. dialing his number again, i held my breath.

"hi! it's cl-"

"ugh." i groaned, ending the call.

as if on cue, the bell rang loudly.

that was enough stressing for today. tomorrow, when clay shows up at my house in the morning for his ride to school, he'll talk to me about it. surely.

"you ready, angel?" zak's voice asked from my left. i quickly glanced at him, wondering how he got there so quickly.

"what's with the pet name?" i asked him. he shrugged, "i don't know, candy, it just comes naturally."

"candy?!" i exclaimed. he nodded, "you're sweet like candy. and, technically, you're eye candy. get it?"

and, okay, that was adorable. "yeah, i do."

"well, sunshine, i was wondering if you'd enjoy a day the zak-way." he rhymed, smiling at his own joke.

i felt weirdly comfortable around him. "what does that include?"

"like i'd tell!" zak told, placing his hand on my back. guiding me through the halls, he said, "i know you'll enjoy it."

"what if i don't?" i teased him. zak shook his head, "you will. trust me."

and i chose to trust his judgement.

"we're pretty close to our first stop. oh, i forgot to tell you, we're going to be doing this whole trip on foot." zak explained.

"okay. i'm good with that."

zak was content, smiling a true smile. thank god.

as we made it out of the doors, zak waved to his group of tens. they all yelled back, "see you, zak!" or "talk to you soon!"

"isn't this embarrassing?" i asked him, genuinely curious. he scrunched his lips together, "what is?"

"hanging out with a zero?"

"honey," he tightened his arms around me, "what did i tell you yesterday? numbers don't mean anything to me."

"oh." i almost forgot. "sorry."

"don't apologize." zak said sweetly, "i'd rather you ask questions than you keep it bubbling inside."

i brought my hand up to my cheek, hiding my blushed face.

"so.." i trailed, building up courage, "where are you from?"

"me?" zak asked, and i nodded, "yeah."

"awh! thanks for asking, darling! i'm from around here, actually. i live on neopolian street, house 13."

"what!?" i exclaimed, backing away from his hold. he lived on my street this whole time? but none of the houses went for sale?! wasn't he new?