Chapter 2

Litum had not raised her shield yet before I left my family for Entageni Keep. It was a tearful farewell and for a moment I thought about staying. Mounting my new horse in my new armor and my new sword on my back solidified my resolve. I had to go and protect my family. If no one joined the orders then the land would be overrun by the hordes. It is my duty to do my part to protect folk from the danger. There is no greater calling for a Valkan to put myself on the line for my countrymen. As I rode to the keep I saw people on foot move to the side of the road and salute me. They praise me for my bravery and wish me well. I am not even knighted and folk see me as a hero. It isn't warranted just yet but I will earn their praises on the field of battle. What I know about The Order of Entageni is they are one of the toughest orders in the land. They are a stubborn group that does not budge on the battlefield. The story of The Order of Entageni is a testament to the grit of the founders. House Azim have been in the ranks of Entageni for the past 650 years, and I am proud that to continue the legacy of my house.

From the horizon I could hear the river roaring and within a few paces I could see the top of the keep. The rays of the sun began to touch the keep and from it the faint sound of prayers could be heard. Knights pray daily for a specified amount of time. Trotting up to the main gates I see that I am a little late. There are many of recruits here from almost every race. From the cluster of folk standing there I see fellow Valkans, Summer Elves, a few Orcs, Winter Elves, and Woodland Elves. It is natural that there aren't any Dwarves or Lesser Elves. The Dwarves for the most part remain in their underground cities. They bow to the Emperor like all the others and like us above ground they have the hordes to battle as well. Their orders fight in what they call The Low Roads to keep the hordes at bay. Lesser Elves also known as Spring Elves are often known followers of The Others, the gods that are in contrast of The Divines. They tend to be followers of Noctris, Voula, Blev, Hecatay, or Woden. It depends on that elf. What surprises me are the Orcs. Orcs are a tribal folk. The ones that try to be civilized leave their tribes to live in the city. These Orcs are clearly City Orcs standing outside the gates. My parents always told us that the Orcs are the reason The Grim is attacking Valakolondoum. One of the tribes summoned the evil thinking that they were going to rule the land. They were wrong and it brought this great evil on us. As a result the Dovan folk went extinct fighting the hordes. They weren't ready for the horror, but they stood their ground. Their loss was held as a warning to us all, and a call to band together at all cost.

I move up to the gates to inspect my fellow recruits and dismount my horse. I look around and take in what I see. Most of the folk here have weapons, armor, and horses. There are some standing here with nothing. Either they were too poor to buy their equipment or they thought the order would provide for them. No matter the case they are here to fight for their country. I get back on my horse and a Summer Elf comes up next to me on his horse. By the looks of him he is noble blooded like me.

"Hail Valkan." I nod at him.

"Hail Summer Elf. Gendenani of House Azim." I extend my hand and he takes it with pride.

"Vemir of House Delvikinr. Pleasure to make your acquaintance sister. With the looks of our fellow recruits we should be knighted without a bother." I chuckle and look at the other recruits. In the crowd I lock eyes with an Orc girl and her eyes stare almost warmly back at me. I break eye contact and look back at Vemir.

"Perhaps. Think of it this way they could be knighted with us and be our brothers and sisters. Blood might not have anything to do with it." He smirks and shakes his head.

"I doubt that Valkan, but if it is so I will take you out for drinks." I chuckle and shake my head. Moments later the gates begin to open. A group of knights are standing there and they start to direct us in.