Chapter 9

Two days ago, we marched into the woods. All of us have been training and working hard preparing for the upcoming trials. It was the decision of the captain to wake up earlier to break camp. Once we were done, we were waiting patiently, hiding in the treeline. It was still dark outside, and the lack of fire chills the air. We are waiting to make sure they do not see us. If cover is blown, then this battle might end sooner than we'd want. Our decoys have worked so they won't be expecting us to hold the line. The founders battle happened as the sun was rising. Their battle happened during the heat of the summer. This battle will be in the unforgiving cold of the valleys. The river looks like it'll freeze us soon as we step into it. Still our blood runs hot and we are ready.

I will look over at Julius. His ruby eyes stare closely at the field ahead of us. He then draws his sword from his scabbard. Soon the rest of us follow in a steel ripple effect. He looks back at all of us and we look at him. Nothing had to be said in this moment. We all knew today we become Knights. He smiles then rhythmically hit his sword on his shield. The tale tale sign to all the camps that the March is about to begin. Vermir and the others with shields start to follow as well. Sound turns into a loud thrum of wood and steel. The sound echoed from both sides, telling us that the other camps were ready to move out as well. Julius steps out first setting the pace of our march. Millum follows closely behind her partner. Dez and I follow. The rest of the camp moves behind us. Julius looks over at me. He nods at me to give the order. 

"Line formation!" The order is echoed behind me. As fluid as water the Entageni double line formation was made. It is amazing that barley a year ago we were a lot of undisciplined recruits. Now I see I am in the company of Knights, and I too am a knight. We march together to the beat of the shields. Soon we were faced with the icy river. There was no hesitation when we crossed. The water barley registered as we went through. All eyes were set on the battlefield. My eyes were glued to Dezzi as we marched forward.

"HOLD!" Everyone stops weapons drawn in standby. We hear nothing and see no movement over the hill. The valley we sit in is enormous. The only natural barrier being the river we just crossed. If and when we are overwhelmed there is no retreat. We fight them off or we are defeated. With the odds being so out of our favor defeat is unavoidable. The knights outnumber us thousand to one. Strangely I feel no fear. There is a stillness within me, and I wonder if this is what it will fell like when I come face to face with the abominations. 

"Sister Gendenani!" I look over to Julius, "Share with us some words of inspiration!" I roll my eyes, he told me he would do this. Dez chuckles then moves aside. I walk forward and pace in front mimicking Stable Master. It gets some chuckles from the crowd. Quietly I pray to Litum then begin my speech. I hope I say the right thing. 

"My brothers, my sisters, my family! When the sun rises those knights will ride out to face us! They have some insane notion that they will win!" Laughs and cheers bellow out through the crowd, "We've seen and done what it takes to be knights. When the great Sun Shield is raised on this land tomorrow we will be cloaked! More importantly my family we will have a bath! With much love you all fucking stink! I'm sick of smelling the lot of ya!" The laughter and cheers crescendos as I take my place back in line.

"Be brave! Remember your training! Today we..."

"Hold the line!" Everyone shouts with me. The sun rises and the gates opened at the same time. The thudding of the knights march was also heard. I take a deep breath and gently touch my helmet to the back of Dezzi's.

"At your back Dez." She hums as she returns the gesture. 

"At your back Gen." We look and see the knights coming over the hill. All are on foot except for one. A lone knight sits on their horse. It must be Second Crassus. She probably can't march anymore because of her sickness. Still, she looks terrifying.