7 - First Job

Mina had brought the idea of going to school up to her parents, both of them immediately shot it down, saying she was to be protected and stay safe at home. Nayeon and Jeongyeon knew better than to interfere, but they couldn't help it, causing them to physically fight with their own parents. Mina hesitated at first, but threw herself in the middle of her sisters and father.

"Mina." Her father growled.

"Omegas keep the peace..." Mina whispered, remembering her mother's words to her when she was younger.

"Why do they have to fight Momma?" Mina whispered.

"Alphas need to train from a young age to defend their pack." Her mother held her tightly on her lap, comforting her as she watched her siblings fight their father.

"Do I have to learn to fight?" She frowned, she didn't want to fight, she just wanted to stay to herself and be happy.

"No honey, you're an omega." Her mother answered quietly.

"What does an omega do?" Mina asked her. She looked up at her mother, eyes full of curiosity. Her mother let out a sigh, how was she supposed to tell her that Omegas were supposed to submit and be fearful of alphas...?

"Omegas... Keep the peace." She sighed.

David looked to his wife who was standing away from it all. His eyes softened, looking down at Mina who held her stance. He could tell that she was terrified, he could see her shaking, but still holding herself.

"Fine." He grumbled, retreating to his chair in the den. Mina nearly collapsed when the alpha of her family unit had sulked away from her. Immediately she ran to her room, locking herself away from the world. She curled up with her stuffed penguins, trying to calm herself down. She stood up to the top alpha of her unit... She could feel her heart racing as she held onto her red penguin. She closed her eyes, trying to calm herself down.

Hours later, she woke up to the sound of her alarm. She lifted herself from her bed, confused as to when she had fallen asleep in the first place. She was still dressed in her clothes from yesterday, and her light was still on. She shook the sleepiness from her, getting herself ready for the day. When she got outside, she saw a familiar girl.

Sana.

"Ready?" She smiled at the omega.

"How are you awake?" Mina frowned at her. Sana shrugged, taking a few steps closed to the smaller omega.

"I never fall into a deep sleep, so it's easy for me to wake up." She explained. Mina nodded before leading the way to the bakery. It was four in the morning, the sky was still dark, no trace of the moon or sun. Mina couldn't help but look back at Sana, who was trailing behind her, but still keeping pace.

"Why don't you walk next to me?" Mina asked her.

"Easier to keep watch this way." Sana answered. "Just in case." Mina nodded, crossing her arms around her chest, hugging her jacket tighter. "Would you rather me walk next to you?" Sana's voice was closer now, causing Mina to jump. "Sorry!" Sana chuckled.

The two stayed silent, Sana letting Mina lead her through the town. Mina had felt nervous, her hands fidgeting until she smelt something that calmed her down. She had no idea what it was, but it was soothing to her. It had smelled just like the beach she used to go to with her family when she was younger. It calmed her all the way until they got to the bakery.

"So... Do you want me to stay?" Sana finally asked her.

"Please... My sisters usually do until my aunt gets here..." Mina whispered. She felt horrible for wanting to have comfort in her new company, but she saw the girl look at her phone and nod. "Unless you have class to get to..." Mina frowned.

"It's fine.. I can miss the first class." Sana shrugged it off as if it were normal. Mina knew it was somewhat hurting her to miss her first class.

Mina led her through the back of the bakery, having her sit in the lobby while she started to prep everything for the morning. She had three coffee pots going, had restocked the refrigerated pastry display, and even made sure she had enough money in the register for change. She began to throw ingredients together in a bowl, sparking curiosity in the alpha in the lobby.

"What are you making?" Sana asked her, peering over the counter.

"Marble bread." Mina smiled while reaching for the cocoa powder. Sana watched as Mina effortlessly threw the ingredients in, hardly measuring anything.

"How do you know you're making it right?" Sana asked her, tilting her head slightly at the metal bowl.

"I feel it." Mina answered calmly. After she mixed all of the ingredients and created the dough, she placed it in a new bowl, covering it and placing it in the fridge so it could proof. "You can help make doughnuts if you want." Mina smiled at her.

"I don't think I'd be very good at that." Sana immediately frowned.

"You won't know unless you try." Mina smiled, holding out an extra apron for her. Sana nodded slowly, tying her hair back into a ponytail and taking the apron from her. It didn't take long for Mina to explain the process to Sana, helping her each step of the way, mainly with scooping the wet dough and putting it in the doughnut pan. "Almost time to open..." Mina mumbled while setting an oven timer. She had placed open boxes near the display, dusting her apron off from stray flour.

"What time is it?!" Sana gasped.

"Six." Mina chuckled. "We've been baking for an hour and a half."

"Wow." Sana mumbled to herself, cleaning the counter of the mess she had made. She watched as Mina unlocked the front doors, turning the sign from closed to open. It wasn't long before the first few people walked in. Those few surprised to see another person helping Mina that early in the morning.

"Got yourself some help I see." A taller alpha smiled at her.

"Yes." Mina smiled nervously.

"Great. I'll have the usual." He smiled while standing near the counter. Sana watched as much as she could as Mina interacted with customers. Different types of people, all of them knew her by name and she knew exactly what their orders were. Sana looked around, seeing that the display was really just their orders, and some extra just in case. She came early, to make sure everything went smoothly.

By the time the morning rush had cleared, it was eight in the morning, and Sana felt drained already.

"How are you so awake?" Sana mumbled to her. Mina pulled a small styrofoam cup out from behind everything and smiled. "Your secret is coffee?" Sana laughed.

"I'm not chugging it like most people. The key is to sip it. Little jolts of energy." She shrugged. Sana let out a groan, leaning over the counter and resting her head on the cool marble. The little bell attached to the door rang, causing both girls to lift their heads. "Mrs. Park!" Mina smiled. "The usual?" She asked quietly.

"No, no." The elderly woman smiled. "I'm placing an order." She smiled. Mina nodded, grabbing a binder out from under the counter. Sana watched, seeing the elderly woman flip through the pages of different cakes. "What do you suggest?" She asked.

"What's the celebration?" Mina asked.

"Anniversary." The woman chuckled. "My husband will pick it up." She continued.

"Well... Last year..." Mina took out another book, flipping through and finding the order. Sana saw how near perfect the handwriting was, so neat it almost looked typed. "Your husband ordered last year, he ordered pineapple cake." She read the order, seeing the woman nod in response.

"Oh that was the most delicious cake I ever had from here. Do you think you could do it again?" She asked.

"Yes Mrs. Park. Anything for you and your family." Mina smiled.

Sana smiled at the tenderness in front of her, it was rare for her to see such kindness outside of her own pack. Even then it was only a little bit. It made her enjoy this new job.