Chapter Seventeen

"Lady Henriette?" Westman stared at her.

The pale pallor of her face glowed in the impending dusk. Henriette might have been quite a beauty once, but her complexion was drained by sickness and marred by the dark smudges beneath her eyes. Heavy rouge on her lips and cheeks only drew attention to her poor health.

"What are you doing?" he called. "Let them go. Tabitha are you all right?"

"It would be wiser to worry about yourself," Henriette replied.

Tabitha gave a muffled shout, alerting Westman to Creeping Clem's attack. He swung his sword at the charging demon, missing when it jumped into the air and soared over his head. It landed behind him, sharp teeth bared.  Clem chuckled, wispy fire on its breath.        

With another strike, Westman aimed for its neck, but the demon's reflexes were fast. It dodged and whipped its strong tail with a crack, slamming into Westman's chest and knocking him backward. He landed on his back, skidding to a stop, and sat up to see Clem lift his fallen sword off the leaf-strewn lawn. Westman narrowed his eyes and got to his feet. Fighting a demon with bare hands was never a very good idea - almost as bad as using a plum pudding.

"I'm sorry things have to end this way, Mr Westman," said Lady Henriette from the path lining the grass. "But I can't let anyone get in my way."

Creeping Clem's tail writhed like a serpent while it approached. Just then, Westman became aware of shouting. It was George - angry and brandishing an iron poker from his grandmother's fireplace. Blinks and Sophie followed, frantically trying to call him back. Clem continued to circle Westman, slicing the blade through the air with a look of menace.

"Stop playing around and finish your job," Henriette ordered the demon before pulling Tabitha along the path. The girl resisted, slowing Henriette's escape.

Clem lunged, sword extended, but Westman dived aside swiftly. With a roar, fire dripped like lava from its jaws, fizzing on the grass. Clem slashed the air again, this time missing Westman's face by a fingerbreadth.

Damnation.

His heart raced while he ducked and sidestepped, trying not to step in the pools of fire.

"Mr Westman, catch," yelled George.

Westman chanced a glance at him and deftly caught the fire-poker that came hurtling his way. Without a second thought, he thrust it into the monster. An ugly grimace twisted Creeping Clem's face, and the sword fell from its grip. With inhuman strength, it grabbed the lapels of Westman's coat and threw him to the ground.

Westman hit the turf, winded, and tried to catch his breath while the demon stood over him. Its breathing was jagged and features contorted as it yanked the poker out of its abdomen. Black ooze flowed out and hit the grass with a wet slap.

"Well played," Clem panted and tried to laugh. "But I'm the one still standing."

***

Sophie slowed down when she realised it was futile. George was much too fast. He'd outrun both herself and Mr Blinks and she didn't dare venture any closer. Freddie's demand that they stay at the house was still fresh in her mind. But at this close distance, she could see him embroiled in a fight with an opponent that didn't appear to be from this world. Her pulse beat hard in her throat while she watched, helpless.

Stars above. What is that thing?

At that moment, a woman came round the corner of an adjoining path, roughly hauling a child and baby with her. She stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of Sophie.