THE KINGS OF BRAN'S CAULDRON (part 6 of 10)

SOMEWHERE ELSE: Bohemian Royalty

Bomi spent all day making his apartment look perfect. The smell of cleaners and polish was heavy in the air; all exposed surfaces were free of dust and grime. He put his favourite patchwork Picasso quilt, with matching pillowcases, on his bed, and then he washed and ironed the dark red velvet drapes for the lounge. He rearranged his furniture according to the rules of the old feng shui craze. Finally, Bomi carefully chose a few books to place on show upon his grand piano; books that added a selective insight into the kind of person might be.
By the time Mr X arrived, everything was just how he wanted it.
Bomi opened the door with a smile he hoped projected a relaxed and welcoming manner. "I'm so glad you came," he said to the young man outside. "Please, come in."
Mr X hesitated, his eyes nervously gazing back along the corridor. "Just what we agreed, right? Nothing more?"
"Of course," Bomi replied, smoothly. "I'm a man of my word."
Mr X stepped in and his host closed the door behind him.
"Take a seat," Bomi said, ushering his visitor into the lounge. "Can I get you a drink?"
Mr X remained standing and shook his head. "No." His gaze was still nervous as he glanced over the lounge, apparently unimpressed. "Can we just get this done? I'd rather not hang around, if you know what I mean."
"Certainly." Bomi hid his disappointment. "You had no trouble getting the virus, I take it? You are infected?"
"Yes. As of this morning."
"Good. How do you feel?"
"Like I want to pass it on and get uninfected as soon as."
Bomi smiled tightly. "I quite understand." He turned away from his guest, and looked out of the window, down onto the river outside. "Why don't you go through to the bedroom and wait for me there?"
Mr X didn't move from the spot.
"Is something wrong?" Bomi asked, still gazing through the window.
"I don't care why you're doing this, I just don't want it coming back at me. If I get caught, I'll be in a whole world of trouble."
"You and me both." Turning from the window, Bomi smiled reassuringly. "You needn't worry. Tonight, we'll have our little moment, you will leave, and if I'm infected the remaining funds will be transferred as promised. I have no further interest in you."
Mr X nodded, and then licked his lips. "I ... I'm not really gay, you know. I just need the money bad."
"And that's why we're of mutual benefit to each other." Bomi returned to looking at the river scene. "But as you say, the sooner we get this done, the sooner you can get back to your normal life. You'll find fresh towels in the bathroom if you want to shower first."

Thank you for reading. If you're enjoying the story, please consider voting. I try my best to reply to all comments, and questions are always welcome.