Prelude: The Beginning of My End

I swallowed the blood that gathered relentlessly in my mouth, the iron flavor stinging my tongue with the unnatural taste. Gathering my sleeve in my hand, I wiped the crimson streak that had snuck down my chin, my upper lip curling into a smile.

My name? My name is Aslan. Aslan Caliban. My story? I'm a boy of seventeen who has seen more of the world than can be desired. I have fought for my life. I have fought for the lives of those I love. I have even fought for my enemies. And to what end? My soul purpose now seems to be: Survive. A simple word. Yet.. it holds so much weight. So much hidden meaning. Survive? From what? What is so detrimental that it requires the word survive?

Now, for those who have never had to experience Survival, here is a quick example. Have you ever felt that pang in your stomach that indicates hunger? Have you ever been so thirsty, your lips feel like the Sahara Desert? Have you ever been so weak that it takes more than you can muster to move even your little finger? You know that 'Fight or Flight'sense you get when you're around the school bully? Have you experienced the unshakable feeling of someone watching you? How about being afraid to fall asleep, for, even in your dreams, you are hunted. Chased. Shredded by your perpetrators. Even your dreams become your most loathsome enemies. Now. Imagine all that... Times about twenty three. Oh! And I almost forgot. Have you ever killed anyone? No? Well.. to say the least, it shakes you. The moment you see the life fade from their eyes, you realize just how mortal we all are. It's really quite awful. But, as they say, it does get easier.

   I was raised in Chicago, before my end began. It's been a long year, filled with running, near starvation and plenty of broken moments.

    Now, back to my story. That is, if you haven't decided it's not quite intriguing enough. 

           See you in my Nightmare