"I still don't know." he replied gasping.

This time all three of them got into it. Pain ripped through him seemingly from all directions. The chair rocked one way and then the other, falling down, landing Ashur on his back. He was completely immobile, even his legs had been tied. The leader crouched over him his smile gone, his face grim, "Tell us," he said.

"No." said Ashur hoarsely.

The man bent close and whispered softly into his ear, "Then we shall gnaw the meat from your bones."

"I still don't know," said Ashur. Sweat collected down his spine.

One of them bent close and sniffed Ashur's face, its mouth spread into a grin revealing long pointed yellow teeth. Ashur fought down his revulsion, he hadn't expected the monsters chasing them to be such an eerie blend of human and...creature. Rashakas. His father had called these things Rashakas. He almost screamed but his throat was too dry and his voice died in his chest. The smiling one's strange green eyes glanced up at the leader.

"He thinks he is a hero," it hissed with a voice like spilling gravel. "Like the Caelestors of old!" The others cackled softly in the dim light.

One grabbed Ashur from behind, holding his left arm in a vice like grip. Another seized his other arm and lifted him up. The leader untied him from the chair but left the rest of him bound. They stopped at the doorway for a moment. Ashur looked at the two Rashakas holding him.

Suddenly he heard a popping sound and terrible pain exploded in his right leg. He made a croaking sound in his throat, another explosion of pain in his left leg and the popping of bone. He made a hoarse scream and felt his legs dangle uselessly.

"We're going to go somewhere a little more private," said one of them.

"Can't wait to see what your skin tastes like," said another.

Then they all stepped into the stone hallway leading out of the building. One of the black and scarlet clad regulars from the Amniston Guard pushed out in front of them.

"Hey! That prisoner is under our authority. The Captain is personally bringing him before the Magistrate tomorrow!" the man glared at Ashur's pain ridden face, "He stays."

The leader of the Rashakas glared down at the man contemptuously, "This prisoner is being taken to the capital for crimes against the crown. Out of my way."

The guard saw something in the creature's eyes that made him hesitate for a moment before responding.

"The Captain has ordered specifically that this particular prisoner is not to leave the prison," he said.

The conviction in his voice faded with each word as the Rashaka leader bent its face closer and closer, its strange eyes boring into the other man's skull.

"Out of my way, flesh," it said.

The man's eyes widened, "You can't-!" he blustered.

"You smell like blood and pork," hissed the Rashaka licking the air in front of the guard's face and quivering with pleasure. "Maybe we will take you with us," it said, eyes flashing. Its body tensed to a point that Ashur thought it would attack.

The guard backed away quickly, and the small entourage stormed out. The Rashakas on either side of Ashur had fierce smiles on their faces as they dragged their prisoner into the night. Ashur tried not to scream against the stabbing pain of his broken legs.

***

Nuriel stepped into the little room where Cass was pacing impatiently. She looked up at him. He motioned for her to follow and they both stepped out of the room and up the stairs. She followed him into the street where Champion stood as big and black as ever.