Chapter 13

The next morning, Harriet woke to find James asleep in her chair. Without making a sound, Harriet got up and gently tapped James on his shoulder.

James, startled by the touch, awakened to find Harriet staring right at him, right into his ocean blue eyes. "I'm sorry," he mumbled, emerging from his sleep trance. "I came over last night to see if you were alright and your mom told me you were sleeping. So I came back this morning and she led me up to your room and said I could wait for you to wake up. I didn't mean to startle you. I'm sorry Harriet."

At the sound of his voice, Harriet's eyes divert away from his, embarrassed to have been caught. "James, you have to reason to apologize. You did nothing wrong." Harriet responded in a calm reassuring voice.

"I know, I just feel bad. You're a good person and you didn't deserve to be treated like that. And, I remember a few times in the hallways at school seeing him talking to other girls. But I didn't think it was anything. I'm sorry, I should've told you. I just didn't want to see you upset."

"It's ok. I'm not upset with you. Ok, maybe a little. I can't believe you kept that information from me!"

"I know. It was wrong of me. I just didn't want to see you hurt like this. But he just talked with them. He never kissed them or did other stuff like that. Just talked. So I thought he was being friendly with them."

Harriet could see how upset James was by this so she told him it was ok. He couldn't have known what Sebastian would've done.

"I'm just happy I still have you... Pansycake," she finally said.

"Hey!" said James, "that's my name for you!"

Harriet giggled and then hugged James. She was happy to have someone like him in her life. She couldn't even imagine life without him.

When Harriet finished getting ready for nothing in particular, James suggested that maybe they go see a movie.

"Let us go see The Fault In Our Stars! It's been out for 3 weeks already and I haven't seen it yet. And you know how much I loved the book! Let's go please?" James begged.

Harriet agreed. She too hadn't seen it yet and was dying to as well since it was also one of her favourite books.

James, who now had a surprised look on his face stared at Harriet. "What?" she asked.

"I just can't believe you haven't seen it yet! I was sure Sebastian would've taken you."

"Yea no. I mentioned it to him but he would either say he was too busy or he'd just brush it off and talk about something else. So no. I haven't seen it yet."

"Oh well, let's go Pansycake!" said James as he grabbed Harriet's arm and they raced out of her house.

+ + +

When the lights came back on in the cinema, Harriet's eyes were wet with tears and James's were completely red. They both look at each other and laugh at how awful they looked. As they exited the movie theatre, James turned and looked into Harriet's eyes. He stayed like that for a while and then finally started walking again, hand in hand, with Harriet by his side. A small smile started to spread across his face and Harriet, when seeing it, couldn't help but smile too. They walked back to her house like that.

When they reached her door, Harriet asked James if he'd like to hang out for a bit.

"Yes. I'd like that very much." James replied without hesitation.

So for the rest of the day, they talked about the movie, the book, about other books they've read or haven't yet read. They talked for hours until finally it was time for James to head back home.

"Thank you for coming over today," she whispered quietly in his ear as she leaned in to hug him.

"Of course. Anything for you." James whispered back.

And then he was gone.