Chapter 18: Loose ends

"Look, I don't care whether they will agree or not," Danny said to Fright Knight. "I've tried and that's enough."

"So you did not even want that meeting?" The right hand ghost asked in surprise.

Phantom leaned back on his throne. "Of course not. It is just to show the will to cooperate," he made a tired groan. "Putting this mess in place is hellishly tedious."

The knight chuckled. "Every king on my memory said this very phrase. My Liege, I wanted to inquire about our...guest."

"I told you, Fright, she is staying. It's not like she is of any bother. Azula has been staying in her room all this time."

"Depression, I dare to assume?"

"And you are right. I don't blame her, the last weeks have been tough to her. So what's the problem?" Danny crossed his legs.

"You basically hold the heiress of the other world here. Aren't you going to utilize this opportunity?"

"She is not a tool, Fright. And I am a mere generous host," Phantom got up and fixed the collar of his costume. "Now, if that is all for now..."

"In actuality, sire...I also was willing to ask about your condition."

"What condition?" Danny raised an eyebrow, putting the hands behind his back.

"The crown, My Lord. In all the meetings you have worn the illusional replica. Why do you concern yourself over this?"

"I killed those people, damn it. I'm managing. By blaming the crown. Its power. It's untamed, wild. I've read the books within Ghostwriter's library. Too few kings before did not utilize the power. And the coincidence is...all the mentioned do-gooders were killed by the other candidates. The rest went mad, and there is now the known source."

"I haven't felt anything in the short while I've worn it," Fright pondered aloud.

"The crown is sentient. It ignored you because...well, you had no claim on it, no offense. That age restriction...it was clearly a ruse. For reasons unknown to me yet, I'm doing the research. Maybe the crown was just desperate for an owner. I need the crown for only one more thing. Then I will put it deep away. Go on with our plan."

Fright nodded. Chuckling, Danny passed the knight and went downstairs and then out of the throne room. The castle had been completely rebuilt, and thus the pretty corridors lined his way. Black and silvery were the prevalent colors. He had come to like those. Taking a deep breath he did not need, for he was in the ghost form now all the time, Phantom passed several windows. He was having the time of his afterlife. Yes, he now had a job, with the biggest wage one might add. But now there was no fighting in the wars, at least now, no concern of human nature...well, maybe except the well being of the one person he was giving residence to.

But come to think of that...yes, Azula would have learned the value of lesser beings by becoming one, possibly. But, one, he wasn't that cruel, and two, it could have the opposite effect. Where was Jazz when he needed her the most? Well, there is one person with a psychological degree, but she would just make Azula even more miserable. Suddenly Danny realized that it was the lunch time. Albeit he was in the Ghost Zone, feeding on the ectoplasm in the air, he still preferred the conventional way of filling his tank. An idea occurred to him, so the king changed directions. As the place obeyed his will, by turning around the corner he entered the corridor which was in the other end of the castle. Remembering his past experience, Phantom knocked on the door first. Hearing a quiet response from within the room, he entered it.

Danny really tried to arrange the room as if it was not the totally different world. Yes, by looking like her room back at home, it was Azula's wish to keep the place this way, despite the memories it brought. Because now matter what, out of the window was the same green and black abyss. A very glaring reminder. Azula was lying on the huge bed, staring at the ceiling. Her hair was loose and utter mess. Her golden eyes briefly turned in his direction, before again counting the tiles on the ceiling.