Chapter 11: Conversations

"Do not interrupt me, would you?" Danny told the worker, who approached him in a middle of a precise work.

In his hands he held a small metallic box, connected by the rubber pipe to a glass tube. It was the most vital part of his project, not a single flaw was allowed, it would ruin months of work. He used a small ethereal flame to mold the pieces together. Pathetic, compared to the infernal furnace the fire benders could create. The Crown's influence was limited, especially when it wasn't even in his possession. And he had an ice core, for goodness sake, the bigger amounts of fire hurt him still, no matter how hard he tried to wield the power over emerald flames.

Danny stared at the man, sizing him up and down, mutely waiting for a response from him.

"I-I'm terribly sorry, Your Majesty," he shifted. "The princess has ordered to remind you about the conversation she would like to have with you."

'Just marvelous,' Danny grumbled, putting the device on the table.

"And she sends a simple worker?" Phantom raised an eyebrow. "Not to offend, but it isn't exactly her style...fine, I'll pay her a visit in the evening at six. Make sure she knows about it. Somehow."

The man nodded and left, leaving Phantom alone to his thoughts. He sighed and leaned back in his chair. The half ghost had tried to prolong the meeting as far as possible, but to no avail. Only one day had passed since his return to the construction site. And already Azula knew about his return. That girl was extremely nosy for her own good, and it was extremely annoying that she had zero consideration of others' privacy. Deciding to distract himself for a while, Phantom returned to his meticulous work, while on the outside the workers kept turning a dug up hole into a metal covered hole. It was the first layer, and it was supposed to hold everything in place.

By the evening Danny had made a significant progress for a few hours. The half ghost made it to the castle at the specific time. Because making Azula lose her patience any further would spell doom upon him, that's for sure. Passing the guards, who by then had become used to the dead walking near them, Phantom got to her chambers. Now only a knock separated him from god knows what. He did just that, waiting for a response. Receiving a word, Danny entered the vast room.

Azula was there, sitting on her bed with her...quite attractive and dainty legs seen from under the crimson dress, crossed. She regarded her visitor with an unreadable expression. Danny wondered what was happening within the head of, supposedly, somewhat sociopathic princess. If his observations were correct and his knowledge of psychology, fueled by the limited knowledge given by his sister, was expansive enough. Phantom crossed his hands, more agitated than scared. And if he was the latter, it was only the fear for the fate of his project.

"Look who's blessed us with his visit," Azula stood up, her voice dripping with great displeasure.

"I was busy, princess," Danny shrugged, unwavering under the gaze. "Sorry. I forgot in the midst of my work."

"Learn this, when the princess tells you to, you obey, servant," she approached him and looked into his eyes.

"And I, once again, shall remind you that I am not your servant," Danny looked back.

Azula disliked this. She was used to everyone graveling at her feet at her single word. But that insolent ghost...

"For someone about to die again you are quite bold," smirked Azula.

That phrase made Phantom make ready for whatever she threw at him. He looked for the tiniest thing which could tell about the way she sought to use in order to dispose of the half ghost. A flame in her palms, or some poisoned dart glistening from some hidden place in her clothes, or maybe a blade hidden there as well. But there was none. Azula then chuckled at his tensed reaction and tapped on his chin from below. She then went past him, to the drawer, where a golden decanter was. She poured some liquid in a glass. It could be some form of poison, but Azula then drank it herself.